Little by little....to be MF

Options

Comments

• shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure if its right to think of it now but try and speak to friends about it. I'm amazed at the poor position most of our friends are in! We have family members earning thousands more than us, with similar mortgages and they're years behind! In a macabre way its encouraging to speak to others about money situations as you'll quickly realise you have a healthy approach to mortgage debt.

It's a very British thing but we never speak about money. How many of us know how much our parents actually earned at various life intervals, how much their pensions yield etc... Its such an uncomfortable subject yet so important. I'm determined that our kids will talk openly about money
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Retro.Monkey90
    Options
    Well SJ I am the world's worst for comparing my success against others so I do that but always in a negative way! However, I know some family members that we are definately ahead of even though we have quite meager salaries, although it is to the detriment of our social lives as we never go out but tend to save the money instead. Then I think of all the things I want but never buy and feel sorry for myself. But definately seeing the ££ drop on the mortgage is better than anything I can buy!! It's all relative but sometimes you just feel crap about it all! Thanks again for your encouraging words SJ!

Not much TT this weekend oops! But managed a £1 TT yesterday so hopefully made up for small one :) only 40p TT today. Not sure what the pot stands at but will check tomorrow when I can. We have had the valuation on the house done so just the solicitor and Scottish Ministers to pay now. Saw a fixer upper for the parents but not sure if they want that sort of thing.....ah new builds are so much easier to look for!

Retro x
    Original Mortgage: £134k Sept 2044 :eek: Current Mortgage: £126k Neutral Oct 2039
    Ideal goal: TBC :cool:
    Bonus OPs made 2017: 7 total= £159.91
    Save
    Save
  • Retro.Monkey90
    Options
    Morning all :)

So the valuation came in at the figure we thought so the money to go to the Scottish Ministers is just as we budgted for. All the paperwork done so we just need to wait for them to ask for it! It is good to know our house has gone up in value but about £12k in only 3 years, and being a new build that it is even better.

Finance wise, we are still keeping grocery spends as low as we can. Not spending much at the moment, but had two breakfasts out to perk us up after helping my sister move house for a mammoth 18 hours!! Think we deserved it :) TT £1 today, and I still haven't totalled the pot but hey ho.

Exhausted just trying to get through this all while knowing we are not going to be able to afford the wedding we would like, and given up the opportunity to have an engagement party (which I really was looking forward to). But there are bigger sacrifices my parents would have had to make for me to get where I am so I need to just think about that!

Have a good weekend all, wine is just about in sight....
    Retro x
    Original Mortgage: £134k Sept 2044 :eek: Current Mortgage: £126k Neutral Oct 2039
    Save
    Save
  • Retro.Monkey90
    Options
    Morning all!

Only popping on to say 37p TT today and forgot to TT over the weekend AGAIN! Oops.

Also just waiting for the go ahead to pay the money to the Scottish Ministers so not much doing. Also in the midst of switching to Nationwide with a £100 referall bonus as I am done with my last switching bonus and credit score on the up again! Asked for an overdraft as the future may hold some very tight finances and if I can borrow at 0% then I would rather do that then pay fees or interest.

Hope you had a good weekend and Monday isn't too harsh :)
    Retro x
    Save
    Save
  • Retro.Monkey90
    Options
    Morning all! Hope everyone had a good weekend, we did :beer: managed to snag 50% off a good steak restaurant in town which happened to be off alcohol as well :j

OP my monthly TT pot which was a whopping £15.19!! Still it's the only thing I can cling on to at the moment, as when we remortgage to our full equity we won't be able to OP unless we sell a car :( but we love our cars so that's not going to happen. Only another 2 years on my car so then we will OP that payment, and hopefully when we remortgage again, our house price has gone up again (wishful thinking) and we can OP the difference like we did the last time. It's all go with the flow at the moment which I don't like, because I like to know exactly what my financials are all the time.

Have a good week all
    Retro x
    Save
    Save
  • Retro.Monkey90
    Options
    Hi everybody!

Feeling a bit meh lately, not sure if it is the stress of this mortgage/Help to Buy malarky or the fact my diet is kicking my a**e :(. Got the letter from the solicitors with bank details to do the money transfer :eek: but it has to be done!

TT a whole £1 this morning so feeling smug about that, but I have about £15 to do a night out and a new outfit for said night out :( losing weight means my clothes aren't fitting very well :p not very MSE but hey ho. At least grocery spends have been low (although a few cheeky dinners and take aways).

Anyway off to waste time before lunch because I am starving as usuall....
    Retro x
    Save
    Save
    Save
  • TwentySomethingGirl
    Options
    I hope the HTB isn't being too awkward for you. We've just got the new mortgage offer and waiting on whatever happens next...

Enjoy your night out!
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000 - £140500 JUL19 Moved house Oct19 £230000 £230400 DEC20
  • Retro.Monkey90
    Options
    Hi TwentySomethingGirl :) not at the moment, but there is still time for that! As we are using a gifted deposit and then remortgaging there are a lot of variables that could go wrong. Trying to keep our credit file squeeky clean as well. Although my fiance has trouble with keeping his father's credit file seperate as they have the same name so there are a lot of corrections because of it. He still has a higher credit score than me though!

TT another whole £1 this morning :) and realised there will be no groceries this weekend so I suppose the money I spend on going out will be justified :)

Have a good weekend all :)
    Retro x
    Save
    Save
    Save
  • Retro.Monkey90
    Options
    Hi all, hope you all had a good weekend :)

Had a blast on Saturday, although my bank account had a bit of a meltdown! Luckily I don't go out very often :eek: Nationwide switch has completed so I just have to wait a week or so (so they say anyway) for both our £100 to be paid. Solicitors are being paid this week so the £200 will come in handy.

20p TT today...after a long stream of £1 TT it is difficult to get a small one! Still better than a penny - although I must admit I usually TT £1.01 if that happens :p rules are meant to be broken!

Hope this week doesn't end up being too expensive, but managed to stretch out the groceries to almost 2 weeks so at least our other spends are low.

Have a good Monday everyone :)
    Retro x
    Save
    Save
  • Retro.Monkey90
    Options
    Another £1 TT today, and that is about as MSE as I am being! Managed to get my £5 off £50 shopping at Tesco for a big shop :) so got stocked up on meat and almond milk because these are considered luxury items in my book!
    Save
    Save
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business