reclaim PPI when loan company not known

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
3 replies 1.7K views
helenbobs123helenbobs123 Forumite
1 Post
Hi

My husband bought a mini in 1998 and signed up to a loan through a company that Ryland Rover used to provide credit to their customers. Unfortunately he has forgotten the name of the loan company and obviously Ryland Rover are now out of business. He has contacted his bank but they are unable to provide bank statements back that far. He has paid to have his credit history printed off through equifax but strangely it didn't seem to be there. I feel we are now clutching at straws but has anyone got any ideas of how we could find the provider of this loan? It was a loan for over £10,000 so the PPI payout could be a large one!

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Helen

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not strange that it's not on his credit report. He must have finished paying it off more than 6 years ago?

If Ryland Rover sold you the PPI, then you have no one to complain to.
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The size of the loan is irrelevant if you don't even know if he paid PPI

1) You complain to the people who SOLD it you, not the finance provider (unless the salesman worked for the finance provider) - the company is out of business
    2) Car dealerships were not regulated until 2005 - this sale in 1998 is thus unregulated so they could dismiss it without access to the FOS regardless
    3) The people providing the finance are not responsible for the sale, it is sometimes possible in more recent sales for the underwriter or insurer to take responsibility but there is no guarantee
    4) You have no paperwork, they probably won't either

This one should be put to bed
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a possibility it might have been Black Horse, but to find out, he would have to send a speculative SAR and £10 and hope they have records from 1998. Unlikely being 18 years ago.
    And as above, he would have to hope if it was them, they'd take responsibility for it, which isn't likely.

No one is autmatically entitled to recalim thir PPI money, you make a complaint that it was missold, and you provide your reasons for this.
    I'm with the two answers above, forget about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals