Sky v Virgin

edited 11 November 2016 at 11:59AM in TV MoneySaving
10 replies 2.7K views
Fergie76Fergie76 Forumite
2.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 11 November 2016 at 11:59AM in TV MoneySaving
I'm just about to move house and have a very uneconomical set, so using moving house to review everything.

I have full sky package, sports and movies HD and two multirooms - £104 pm.

Virgin fibre broadband - £33.25 soon to go up to £36ish

BT telephone line and BT Sports - £53 pm.

Moving everything to Virgin I can get everything for £85 - http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles/vip.html -
The VIP bundle

• Full House TV + Sky Cinema HD + Sky Sports HD + Extra box
  • VIVID 200 Broadband
  • Talk More Anytime
Will I be entitle to this Virgin offer, if I am already a broadband customer?

However, I have been with Sky for 14 years and prefer their TV set-up (mum has TIVO box and I don't like it).

Phoned Sky about cancelling and the best they would do me would be 20% off my TV package, bringing it down to £77 pm for 10 months. Sky don't do Fibre at my new address, so I am not interested in their broadband package. If I cancel Sky are they likely to call me back and offer me a better deal?

If not I think I will have to bite the bullet and take the Virgin offer, as I will be saving £100 pm.

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do VM supply your new house ??
  • Fergie76Fergie76 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they do.
  • akchpmnakchpmn Forumite
    14 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Cancel the deal if you get no where with retentions but make sure you are speaking with retentions. Most of time you'll get an email from sky then they'll offer better.
  • jb66jb66 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Bite the bullet, the saving is worth putting up with the tivo!
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's an impressive way to burn money lol.

3 providers!

I know what you mean about the TiVo.
    Aren't they binging out a new one? Maybe hold off on a Tv package if they are
  • edited 12 November 2016 at 11:20AM
    Smartsaver7Smartsaver7 Forumite
    213 Posts
    edited 12 November 2016 at 11:20AM
    Yep you seem happy to throw money down the pan, you must watch TV 24/7. As for broadband unless running a business or a serious gamer not sure why anyone needs mega speeds.
    I switched to Virgin from Sky when I moved as their customer service rubbish, they will hound you to try and retain you, in the end had to tell them moving abroad to get rid.
    I pay £77 for all services, have the Large TV package as don't watch it much also two extra boxes. I believe they are bringing in a new box to replace the Tivo to rival Sky Q
  • BraddenBradden Forumite
    494 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I#m tempted to switch myself but worry that Virgin don't carry all the sky channels.. is there a list of which ones they have/don't have?
  • ididntgetwhereiamtodayididntgetwhereiamtoday Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Bradden wrote: »
    I#m tempted to switch myself but worry that Virgin don't carry all the sky channels.. is there a list of which ones they have/don't have?
    the most significant channel that virgin don't carry is sky Atlantic which has the pick of HBO stuff.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
  • datlexdatlex Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bradden wrote: »
    the most significant channel that virgin don't carry is sky Atlantic which has the pick of HBO stuff.
    You can get Now by having Now TV. It costs £6.99 full price but you can often see deals to pay significantly less and you only have subscribe whilst there is a series you want to watch. I have both. I find it handy to have Now as a supplement to lounge and instead of a second Virgin box in bedroom (works out cheaper)
    The biggest issue I find with the Tivo box is accessing the re button content. It seems to take ages to load. It is also kinda annoying but not a deal breaker for me that the TV guide resets to BBC1 and all content rather then current channel and favourites or whatever channel set you last chose.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 37, Attempting Frugal Living. Became debt free at the end ot 2016. Used savings from becoming debt free to put a deposit on a bungalow last year now working on becoming Mortgage free by overpaying. (without overpayment MFW date is 2036)
  • Fergie76Fergie76 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    AndyPK wrote: »
    That's an impressive way to burn money lol.

3 providers!

I know what you mean about the TiVo.
    Aren't they binging out a new one? Maybe hold off on a Tv package if they are

Tell me about it.

Think I will go for the Virgin VIP, I can always go back to Sky in a years time as new customer, if I don't get on with Virgin.

I would be interested in the new box if Virgin decide to bring one out, my mum has the Tivo and I much prefer the Sky HD box. Not getting on the all channels on Virgin is not to much of problem as there are other ways to source US programmes that I want to watch, plus I have Amazon Prime.

Thanks for all your comments.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News