Climbing the Mountain

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year to you Misty - what a great list of goals that is, and a lovely positive start to the year too! As you say, a good plan to step back from getting drawn into other people's dramas - as I've said previously, you can't control other people's behaviour, but you CAN control the way you react to that behaviour. :T

I'm taking you & Smolly as my decluttering gurus. SUCH progress you've both made - it's really impressive! :beer:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Scott_Weiland_2
    Options
    Thats the reason i do not have it others negativity can really really drag you down, And i dont care who wins xfactor or if newcastle united beat whoever in the football.

I use the messenger app but thats it really i have slowly being transferring pics of facebook too an external hd for ages.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Impressed Misty.. that is something I really struggle with obsessing over why someone acted that way and what I could have done to change it.... when I know should just let go and accept I cannot change someone's behaviour
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    jvr wrote: »
    when I know should just let go and accept I cannot change someone's behaviour

I understand this very well. I finally realised that more often than not, whatever was going on had very little to do with me or what I had done/not done, even if it felt like it at the time. I don't want to waste my time and energy involving myself in schoolgirl situations when there are so many more important things that need my time and attention. People can be as dramatic as they want to, but I refuse to get involved.

I'm not feeling too well today, I'm achy and very, very tired. I'm still going to potter around the house, keep on with my planning, and go for a short walk. I may take the walk first, as they tend to wake me up a bit. At the moment I want to go back to bed more than anything. :o
  • Scott_Weiland_2
    Options
    Go back too bed nooooooooooooo bad idea
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    Misty have I passed on the lurgy to you somehow? ;)

I'm the same pottering around the house.. I'm doing bits here and there.

Take it easy x
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope the tiredness and achyness passed off once you'd stretched your legs a bit.

I've got a "situation" involving some friends at the moment that I'm trying to step away from. I'm cursing myself for getting involved in the first place, as it's mighty tricky once you're into a loop of cattiness and one person winding up the rest of a group, to step away from it easily. My own silly fault for getting sucked in - and as always, these things tend to create ripples that reach far beyond the situation itself. Urgh.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Thanks all, the walk woke me up enough to get some housework done. I've been trying to sort things on the laptop all afternoon but keep dosing off and not really taking in what I'm doing, so I've given it up as a bad job and will start again tomorrow.
    I've got a "situation" involving some friends at the moment that I'm trying to step away from. I'm cursing myself for getting involved in the first place, as it's mighty tricky once you're into a loop of cattiness and one person winding up the rest of a group, to step away from it easily. My own silly fault for getting sucked in - and as always, these things tend to create ripples that reach far beyond the situation itself. Urgh.

What an unpleasant situation to be in. As I've grown older, I have grown a much thicker skin and am far more likely to be brutally honest in those situations. If people try to suck me in, I call them out on their bull !!!!!! and it goes one of two ways - it either resolves the situation completely, or they know not to involve me in the future because I will confront them again. I do not need any extra drama in my life. My grandmother said the best thing about getting old was being able to say exactly what you thought and no longer worrying about other people's reactions might be. I would never purposely hurt someone but there is NWIH I am getting involved in petty scraps because a certain person wants to be the centre of attention or the drama.

If there is some sort of 'friendly' bullying going on, I do get involved because I hate social injustice and it can hurt innocent people quite badly. My involvement is more of a "why are you bullying X, I don't want to be friends with someone who treats people that way" type thing, preferably done in the group so they all know they need to stop their childish behaviour or be confronted about it until it stops. It's amazing how many of these people are cowards and back down right away or were just following along without realising how cruel they were being. Sorry for the ramble, I'll get off my high horse now... :o
  • Smolly
    Smolly Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Misty!!!

I have been away for ages - just had to have a catch up on all your recent posts. You write an awful lot girl and it's all good stuff! I LOVE your goals list for 2017. I'm not going to tell you that I will borrow some of it when writing my own goals list - I'm just going to use yours!:rotfl: It's ace and when I started to read it I thought you'd written it for me xx

Anyway, hope you are feeling ok. I will catch up a bit more as soon as I can. x
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Borrow away, Smolly! Although you should thank purplemo2 as well, because I borrowed some of her list to make mine. :p

I'm glad you had a nice break, I'll catch up with your diary tomorrow. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure