How to get drawings printed onto fabric

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Crafting
2 replies 2.4K views
FrustrationFullFrustrationFull Forumite
43 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Crafting
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but ill give it a go. My brother is great at drawing anime, and i was hoping for christmas to get one of his drawings printed onto a tshirt for him. I know its possible to iron on things like this (I think) but is there any other way? I would have to try and get his drawings from my mom and get it done.

Replies

• Hi there,
    Putting your brother's drawing onto a t-shirt really is quite easy using the iron-on method. You need to scan the drawing into a computer and then print it onto t-shirt transfer paper (Wilkinsons), not forgetting to reverse the image before you print it. You transfer the image using a hot iron but that is all in the instructions.

Transfers work best on light coloured fabric.

The alternative is to take it to a local printer but you may find that a bit expensive as one -off orders are usually expensive.
    Good luck, it's a lovely idea!
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The iron on transfer is the easiest way. Certainly my route of choice 19 times out of 20.

For the bedspread, I borrowed an Over Head Projector (vintage tech), got the drawing copied onto an acetate then pinned the bedspread to a wall & got on with a nametape marker and brush on fabric paint. Took ages but time well spent as Himself is just awed I went to that much trouble.

It's also a bit twitchy to wash, whereas the transfers just need half a brain cell not to overheat in the dryer.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals