Manufacture Warranty

Options
Hi

I hope somebody can help.

In January 2015, I purchased a Samsung washing machine from a well known department store. I chose Samsung as it is a reliable brand and I have other Samsung products and have never had an issue.

The machine was delivered and installed and has been working without any issues.

Recently after putting in some laundry I noticed that the drum was not spinning. I turned the machine off and back on and tried the program again. It still was not spinning.

After making several calls to the store, each person was not able to find me on the system and it was even suggested I return it myself. I asked about the laundry in the machine and was advised to hold the catch of the door whilst giving it a tug. I asked if this would be ok as it didn't seem right and was assured that this is correct. After several tugs, the door opened but also came off completely. I was then advised that I had pulled it too hard but not to worry as it would be covered under accidental damage and the adviser asked if I could call back as somebody else may be able to find me on the system.

I did phone the following day and was found easily on the system. I explained the issues I was having and was advised that I need to speak to Samsung directly. This I did but Samsung can't book engineers more than a week in advance and they don't work weekends! This will make it very difficult for me to try to book anything at all as I do not work regular hours although do have the weekends off.

As this machine is "state of the art" and replaced a second hand Hotpoint which I had for some 12+ years and was trouble free I am somewhat reluctant to now have it repaired as it is still under manufactures warranty. I don't want to be left with a machine which will be constantly breaking down.

What are my options? Can I request that it is replaced? Should I be the one dealing with Samsung even though I bought it from the store?

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DaveW007 wrote: »
    Hi

I hope somebody can help.

In January 2015, I purchased a Samsung washing machine from a well known department store. I chose Samsung as it is a reliable brand and I have other Samsung products and have never had an issue.

The machine was delivered and installed and has been working without any issues.

Recently after putting in some laundry I noticed that the drum was not spinning. I turned the machine off and back on and tried the program again. It still was not spinning.

After making several calls to the store, each person was not able to find me on the system and it was even suggested I return it myself. I asked about the laundry in the machine and was advised to hold the catch of the door whilst giving it a tug. I asked if this would be ok as it didn't seem right and was assured that this is correct. After several tugs, the door opened but also came off completely. I was then advised that I had pulled it too hard but not to worry as it would be covered under accidental damage and the adviser asked if I could call back as somebody else may be able to find me on the system.

I did phone the following day and was found easily on the system. I explained the issues I was having and was advised that I need to speak to Samsung directly. This I did but Samsung can't book engineers more than a week in advance and they don't work weekends! This will make it very difficult for me to try to book anything at all as I do not work regular hours although do have the weekends off.

As this machine is "state of the art" and replaced a second hand Hotpoint which I had for some 12+ years and was trouble free I am somewhat reluctant to now have it repaired as it is still under manufactures warranty. I don't want to be left with a machine which will be constantly breaking down.

What are my options? Can I request that it is replaced? Should I be the one dealing with Samsung even though I bought it from the store?
    If you want a resolution under the manufacturer's warranty, then you are bound by the terms of that warranty. If that warranty insists on a repair, then you have no right to a replacement, although it does no harm to ask.

Your statutory rights lie with the shop you bought it from. Under The Sale of Goods Act you have the right to seek a remedy from the seller for up to six years following the sale. That remedy could be a repair, replacement or refund, which could be a partial refund to take account of the use you have had.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure