The NSD November Challenge

So,November will be here soon.Who wants to sign up to our fabulous nsd challenge?
Yes,we are proof that spending less is fun and,for your trouble,you'll each get a toffee apple!

Comments

• marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2016 at 7:36AM
    Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF :A

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way wink2.gif
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine :) Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch sport-smiley-003.gif & have been l-o-n-g time NSDers so don't panic :p
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet :(
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out :whistle:)
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you :D
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline action-smiley-076.gif
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by..:think:..
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one ;) (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but :j so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile :D

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean :rotfl:New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & nargle usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club :D The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained :o

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    edited 1 December 2016 at 7:50PM
    Target reached20tm1w5.jpg

Yes,very Novemberish,isn't he?Everyone loves Tigger,let's face it,so what's not to like?

I'll add more prizes as needed.

Target exceeded 2uik5g0.jpg

Consolation prize if you didn't quite make target:
    wmi6o5.jpg
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    edited 22 January 2017 at 7:57PM
    marmiterulesok 11/15 wmi6o5.jpg

Munchin 10/10 wmi6o5.jpg

ab_saver 15/15 20tm1w5.jpg17/15 2uik5g0.jpg

Azzzaa 5/10 wmi6o5.jpg

Purplemumof1 8/15 wmi6o5.jpg

Penniesinmyjar 0/10 wmi6o5.jpg

Nargleblast 15/15 20tm1w5.jpg16/15 2uik5g0.jpg

massa1982 2/15 wmi6o5.jpg

doingitanyway 13/15 wmi6o5.jpg

Jena666 0/15 wmi6o5.jpg

squanderscouse 10/10 20tm1w5.jpg12/10 2uik5g0.jpg

fru-girl 15/15 wmi6o5.jpg

wifey27 10/10 20tm1w5.jpg

mobo1980 15/18 wmi6o5.jpg

katy_ann 0/6 wmi6o5.jpg

Fivebyfive 4/15 wmi6o5.jpg

Saver-upper 0/10 wmi6o5.jpg

beanielou 11/11 wmi6o5.jpg
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2016 at 7:42AM
    The prize is:more sun.I know it was last month's prize,but we all need the sun as much as possible ,now that Nasty November is here.

taggg4.jpg

marmiterulesok 4

Munchin 3

ab_saver 4

doingitanyway 4

squanderscouse 3 taggg4.jpg

Purplemumof2 3taggg4.jpg
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi

Can I start with 10 NSD & 3 in a row.

• Munchin wrote: »
    Hi

Can I start with 10 NSD & 3 in a row.

Hi Munchin.You're welcome!
  • ab_saver
    ab_saver Posts: 334
    First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I'm back in this month (starting today as I've been paid) with a target of 15 and of 4 in a row please
    House fund: ~£5000 / £10,000 :D_£1000 emergency fund #208 - £151.74/ 1000 _
  • Azzzaa
    Azzzaa Posts: 346
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Good morning I'm going to aim for 10 NSD in November please :)
    Documenting my journey from full time support worker to full time eBay reseller :)
  • Morning :)

I'm not brave enough to do the other ones but I will have a go at this one.

Please could you put me down for 15 NSD, I'm going to have a go and see if this month I can get there.
  • Morning!

Eep I've not done this one before but I'm on the 'pay off my debt by end of the year' challenge so I need this!
    I'll go for 10 NSD gulp.
    £1000/£1000 Emergency Fund
    Credit Card 1: £5,671 / £9,500 [STRIKE]Credit Card 2: [/STRIKE][STRIKE]0/£9,000 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Credit Card 3: £0 / £2,500 [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]OD: £0/ £3,000[/STRIKE]
    £18,360 gone! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport