Plusnet - Warning

Options
For anyone switching to Plusnet be aware that call waiting times are over 15 minutes. Switching has been absolute nightmare and I've done it before with Sky and Talktalk and process was seamless.

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    Options
    I switched to Plusnet this year and didn't have to speak to anyone, did it all online without a hitch.
  • Red29
    Red29 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    I've done it all online previously as well, no problems. My point is when you do hit a problem, trying to resolve has been awful. In a half term week I don't have time for this.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I switched last Friday with no problems. The chat was turned off the other day and the lady I spoke to said it happened when they were very busy, concentrating people onto phones.

I have found weekends and Mondays to be difficult times but other days have been fine (I've asked lots of questions).

At least with chat, unlike Sky's , you can get in the queue, then carry on browsing, getting a 'beep' when your turn comes. If waiting for phone, I leave it on speaker and carry on with something else.
  • Red29
    Options
    Yes it's so convenient to put the phone on speaker whilst on hold and do something else.

I didn't mind doing that when I was on hold for 36 mins and 42 seconds! Or when I was on hold for 24 mins 13 seconds or the call when it was 29 mins.

After several calls Apparently its a faulty router so I'm waiting for a new one to be sent out. No facility to send it next day only Royal Mail so I think we are on day 6 now with out broadband.

My point in this post was to make people aware that if you hit a problem with plusnet it is a nightmare to solve. However it's probably my fault for needing help at their busy time.
  • Harald
    Harald Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 October 2016 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Red29 wrote: »
    For anyone switching to Plusnet be aware that call waiting times are over 15 minutes. Switching has been absolute nightmare and I've done it before with Sky and Talktalk and process was seamless.

That's really funny...
    For comparison - if you want to speak to somebody about Vodafone broadband, the average waiting time is about ONE HOUR.
    My longest time waiting was ONE AND HALF HOUR. Luckily they offered call back at the time.
    But while writing it I'm on call to Vodafone support, no more callback offered. Will see how long it will take. 10 minutes and counting.

EDIT:
    30 minutes and counting...
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 October 2016 at 5:48PM
    Options

My point in this post was to make people aware that if you hit a problem with plusnet it is a nightmare to solve. However it's probably my fault for needing help at their busy time.

I'm just hoping I don't have a problem and notice that, this evening, chat is switched off.

With O2 on a BT line I used to have around 5 to 5.4. With Sky I had an improved 5.4 to 6.4,with the speeds regularly 6+.

I know it takes two weeks to settle, but with PlusNet I started at about 5.3 expecting it to improve, but 8 days later it's a pathetic 1.87 on Ookla's test and 1.2 on Uswitch's !
  • Red29
    Options
    This morning Plusnets own recorded message is saying call waiting times are 45 mins !!!!!!!

Out of principle after this year I'm never going to use Plusnet again. I don't care how cheap they are.

It's not the problems that occur but how a company deals with them that drives me mad!

Another lesson learned is before I sign up to other contracts call their helplines and see how long they take to answer the phone.

I could go out and buy my own router but that would take away my moneysaving from joining Plusnet which will enrage me further!
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This morning Plusnets own recorded message is saying call waiting times are 45 mins !!!!!!!

They used to have the excellent (IMHO) message system.
    You could send support a message and they would reply. It may have taken them two days, but that was better spending 45 minutes on hold!

Anyone know why they stopped it??

:mad:
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    I've been with them about 3 years now. They screwed up on install as they hadn't setup my account on their system. As I was moving from VM I still had decent internet and got it sorted online somehow (i think by raising my own ticket) Getting it fixed took an hour or two.

I had a line fault and thought it would take an age to get fixed judging by my past experience with ISPs. Luckily the line was bad enough to result in the BTw checker recognising there was a fault and they sent an Openreach engineer who arrived within a few days and fixed it. That was by raising my own ticket too.

I don't think I've ever phoned them but do know that their lead times are appauling. I have no idea how competent their front end support are either - if they are like the ISPs I've been with in the past I wouldn't have high hopes on them fixing anything that wasn't a typical user error. I hope ypur fault really is the router or you will be even less of a happy bunny when it arrives - can't you use the one from your old ISP?
  • username
    username Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    They used to have the excellent (IMHO) message system.
    You could send support a message and they would reply. It may have taken them two days, but that was better spending 45 minutes on hold!

Anyone know why they stopped it??

:mad:
    They've not stopped it, just made it a bit more harder to find! But go here https://www.plus.net/wizard/index.html and you will get access to the ticket system. I find it's better as there is a written paper trail, and also better than hanging on the telephone. Plus if it is a complex or unique issue you can detail it in writing.

On the occasion when I have had to phone them, there always has been a queue but the problem has eventually been fixed. The people manning the phones tend to be relatively competent, but the wait time is quite a while. I remember phoning them at work on lunch once, and someone picked up as soon as lunch came to an end!

Just of interest what's everyone phoning for, that can't be done via web chat or the ticket system?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure