The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your dad Greenbee - a few extra hugs for you too,I think.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,334 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thinking of you and yours greenbee.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Afternoon :hello:

I have no idea what is going to happen when I start having to 'do' Christmas. I've suddenly got busy and there aren't enough hours in the day already!

Still, today has been wonderful thus far. I did something that I really wanted to do, got to see some wonderful people who still remember me from earlier on in the year and got some fresh air and exercise. Top notch :D

We had a spiffing tea last night. And I am not saying that to blow my own trumpet, it's just that I hadn't really given it as much thought as I should have, I adapted one recipe that I hadn't even made the 'proper' version of and cobbled together an accompaniment, again having not done it like that before. Dessert was a pud I had made before and an 'easy' HM 'iced-cream' (as opposed to ice cream).

The mains was heavily based on the recipe in Jackie Kearney's book about vegan streetfood. She made marmalade tofu with cashews (I'm sorry, I can't find her recipe on the net to link to). I didn't like the idea of using marmalade, but have got a pile of oranges from the mrAl S6 the other week, so I changed the recipe to have oranges at the centre of it, but not marmalade. I pressed my tofu then I cut it up into nice bite-size blocks. I marinated the blocks in plenty of orange juice, orange zest, sesame oil, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, ginger, chilli flakes and honey for several hours. I pureed some onion, garlic and ginger and put that in a pan with R1ck Stein's sri lankan curry powder. Then I finely diced sweet potato, carrot, parsnip and green beans and cooked them off in the curry paste with some coconut milk. I steamed some basmati rice with 3 green cardamon pods in and pan-fried off the tofu, just as I was ready to serve. I reduced down the remaining marinade in the pan, and poured it over the top - this was a bit disappointing, as the tofu had taken up plenty of the marinade, so there wasn't alot! I scattered some toasted cashews over the top. Picture here;

004_zpst1iln5ki.jpg

Dessert was an orange spiced version of INOD's Easy peasy Chocolate Torte recipe, served with a ball of St Clement's Ice-cream. The 'iced-cream' is really simple to make, but please be aware, if you make it, please don't serve it to vulnerable groups, as the eggs are barely cooked in it. It does taste lush though, given how simple it is :D Picture here;

011_zpsnmj9gxmt.jpg

We're on vegetable soup tonight :rotfl:

Right, I'm away to complete more chores :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £10/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Afternoon :hello:

Greying blows in.............. It's a wee bit blowy around these 'ere parts :)

End of the week already :eek: Where oh where did that one vamoose to?

I am so glad that I am not hostessing with the mostessing - I'd be c*rp. I haven't done a single thing that could be termed christmassy in the house :o I do hope Baby Greying hasn't been taking notes at all the places we have been going - you know, christmas tree 10 points, nativity scene complete with baby jesus 8 points, wreath on door 2 points, live wreath on door 6 points, twinkly lights 10 points ....................... :(:rotfl:

At least i have made the dough for tonight's pizza, so we'll eat tonight anyhow..... :D

I saw that apple muncher has set herself a 12 week challenge :D I like that idea :D So I'm purloining it :D My *version* is going to be targetted at getting the house ship-shape, getting rid of the c*rp, getting energised and organised, ready to move on from Greying Towers. It's time :D

I've not finalised my version yet, I just know that I want to do it. I must do it :D

Right, the washing machine has stopped whirring, so I'd better go and empty/restock it :D

TTFN,

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,540 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 December 2016 at 10:43PM
    Options
    ...I am so glad that I am not hostessing with the mostessing - I'd be c*rp. I haven't done a single thing that could be termed christmassy in the house :o I do hope Baby Greying hasn't been taking notes at all the places we have been going - you know, christmas tree 10 points, nativity scene complete with baby jesus 8 points, wreath on door 2 points, live wreath on door 6 points, twinkly lights 10 points...

GP - by your reckoning I'd have 20 points, but you have a little bubba to look after & dinner ready to go which is worth a whole lot more if we are keeping score!!!

Isn't there a game show where if you get no points you win???:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

One way or the other you definitely win!

(PS - OH just asked me what was for tea - my answer was 'you're retired & have had a nap this afternoon while I've been working - you tell me')

(PPS - we are having lotsa veg & roast according to the meal plan)
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,717 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :rotfl: at your retort to OH RT :rotfl: I hope you got your tea made for you! :D

Aw Greying, Christmas isn't about points, as well you know young lady :) Baby Greying is far too young to notice any of these things, and I'm sure when they're older you'll teach them by example all about what's important at Christmas for you :)

I love Christmas, but we don't go all out with decorating. We have a fake tree that gets dragged out of the cellar, a string of lights and about a million inherited baubles :rotfl: This year because everything is in uproar I couldn't find the lights so bought some new (reduced) ones, then found the old ones in the cellar, so we strung them up in the kitchen for our festive do last night :D But we have no wreath, outside lights, or any other such paraphernalia. I'm sure Baby Greying is enjoying looking at everyone else's! :D

Thought of you this evening. I went to collect my takeaway :o and there was a guy begging outside the supermarket. He's there pretty much all day every day. I usually give to a homeless charity rather than individuals but it was so cold tonight, that while I was in the shop I thought I'd get him a few bits to eat. Agonised for a while about whether I should go and ask what he wanted :o but i was a bit too shy (pathetic, I know...) :o so just picked up a few things (sandwiches, crisps, juice, chocolate etc). Got out of the shop after all my indecisiveness - and he'd gone! Yet another donation fail for me! (after the foodbank/biscuits escapade) :o :rotfl: I'm off into town tomorrow so I'll just take the bag and give it to someone else. So many homeless people around at the minute :(

(sorry, didn't mean to bring the festive mood down!)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    rtandon - thank you. I was just feeling a bit... I dunno really. On the one hand I am happy that we don't go overboard at Chrimbo, but on the other, we've someone else to consider for the first time. I think we're lucky in as much as they are too wee to notice, but it is a bit of a wake up call........ Although having said that, I think things may be a-changing. I went into W1lkinsons today, and they had already started their 50% off sale on things such as (some) baubles, trees and decorations etc some days ago. But today, the space that had been a christmas 'section' was already back to 'normal' and they were going big on 'storage solutions'. I guess much the same as bikinis come instore in February and you can get snow-suits in September, Christmas has had its retail 'opening'. We must move on.

Cheery - you are a kind soul :D You know homelessness is a complex issue. You're kind to do what you do. And you most certainly have not brought the festive mood down. I'm struggling to get it up (?) and social welfare issues don't go away just because of a national holiday........................ So tell us of your experiences. We'll listen.

We've had no post again today. I'm getting suspicious. There is at least one card that I am pretty sure would have been sent and has not reached here........................humpf!

Tea has been munched. And we're both dead on our feet.

I think I am away to my bed in a minute :o

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

thus far storm Barbara has only lightly 'kissed' us................

for an engaging chat with a near-neighbour as we made our way towards the high street

for DH's all-out support and enthusiasm for the 12 week challenge idea :j:T

Ta for popping in and offering your support. It is much appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• apple_muncher
    Options
    Go team Greying on your joint 12 week challenge!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,540 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    :rotfl: at your retort to OH RT :rotfl: I hope you got your tea made for you! :D ...

Tea was (ahem) a joint effort - I made efforts to give directions & OH made efforts to follow them - he even tidied up & put away the clean dishes!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Dinner when we got to it was lovely - unusual not to be eating leftovers on a Friday!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,717 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ooh, glad your tea worked out well! :j :j

Aw Greying lass. Please don't feel like you have to keep up with everyone else for the sake of baby greying. They are loved and you will bathe them in cheerfulness and goodness and your own traditions, whether they're glitter and tinsel related, or a long walk in the fresh air with a flask of hot chocolate and a small treat on Christmas day afternoon :) xxx

I'm thinkig a lot about christmas myself this year as I've still not finished shopping and am quite stressd about it - just when did I make it so complicated?!

Off to do a bit more wrapping :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport