Unfair dismissal? Major supermarket

edited 27 October 2016 at 9:14AM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
3 replies 1.7K views
toofytoofy Forumite
209 Posts
edited 27 October 2016 at 9:14AM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Hi, would appreciate some advice if possible - I am about to be made redundant from my position on the nightshift team where I have worked for our over 2 years. I was originally recruited as a team leader but last year the company restructured and all team leaders were given a cushion payment to step down from the role.

As a team leader my role spanned 2 departments, and when I stepped down I was told by the then manager I was to continue working as I had been , over both depts. Now I have been selected for redundancy and it only affects one of those depts, the one that I am coded to on my payslip. Another colleague who started work recently also spans both depts but has been spared redundancy as his payslip is coded to the unaffected dept. During the past 45 days consultation I have continued to work in the unaffected department; as much as 50% of my time has been spent there. When I queried why I was being made redundant when another colleague on the department left the company, I was told the dept is still over hrs, but yet I'm still being used?

Do I have any recourse? I have received my final redundancy letter confirming that I leave after my notice next week, it states that if I have any concerns I must raise within 7 days. Should I seek professional advice?

Replies

• So - have you raised your question with the employer? And what was their answer? That is always the starting point - lay out your grievance or appeal to the employer. You are wasting money getting legal advice on something where this has not happened, because there may be a perfectly lawful reason for this - I can possibly already see one, which may or may not hold water. But you need to take that step before anyone can really advise you further, here or in a lawyers office.
  • toofytoofy Forumite
    209 Posts
    My intentions are to raise this as a grievance, was just wondering whether or not I have reasonable grounds. I am aware this is the first step.. thanks for your reply.
  • It's impossible to say whether they are reasonable without knowing the employers explanation. But they are grounds! Come back with the employers response and then we can look at that to see whether it holds up.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum