MMD: Should David and Victoria pocket the pizza?

Options

Comments

• Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Options
    No, "all you can eat" doesn't mean "all you can eat and carry home for the rest of your household". If you don't think your appetite is big enough for you to get value for money then don't go for that kind of deal!

On the other hand, if it was a genuine case of "eyes bigger than stomach" and you just haven't been able to get through everything on your plate then you might as well take the leftovers home as they're only going to go to waste otherwise.

I agree with LIJ :T :D

If it's on your plate but you can't eat it all there and then I think it's no different to getting a doggy bag at any other restaurant but openly walking up to the buffet, wrapping it up and sticking it in your bag is theft :naughty: :eek:
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • svincent2000
    Options
    They wouldn't be seen dead in Pizza Hut anyway!
  • Dorrie
    Dorrie Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it is theft. What they do in America has nothing to do with the argument anyway - their social customs are different to ours. As others have said, if Victoria had taken too much that is different, but to blantantly go up and take more to take home is wrong. If, however, Victoria asked the staff on duty if she could do this and how much she could take, and they were perfectly happy for her to take a certain amount, then that is okay as she has permission.
  • dodge2k7
    Options
    It is the principal really. I think it should only be whats left from whats on the table once you finish. Ordering another lot and asking for a doggybag straight after is a bit off. If you want to feed people at home why not take them with you in the first place. So in the end it goes by what type of person you are. David is correct in my opinion.
  • MelvynG
    Options
    You pay for what you eat from the buffet but not for take away. If you are not hungry just order a small dish from the menu.

One chinese buffet I know charges a flat price of £8 plus £1 per 100grams that is left on the plate (not including bones). You take a taster and if you like the dish you take a helping.

No doggie bags.

Amazing how little food is wasted.
  • carol99_2
    Options
    :rolleyes:? But does moral judgement change depending on how much the deal cost or if you didnt think you had value for money? ? If you've been charged £3.99 for an all you can eat buffet, does carrying out extras become less acceptable than if you were charged £15? My reaction was that I wouldnt take extras home from pizza hut as I think its a cheek whe it seems such a fair deal in the first place BUT when our family go to Disney in October, I intend to take advantage of the breakfast buffet, because;- 1. it has cost us alot more to stay with Disney than elsewhere, 2. they CHARGE an awful lot more for food than anywhere else, 3. they actively discourage you from taking your own food (ie picnics not allowed in the parks). So my moral standpoint changes because I think Pizza Hut is being fairer to me as a consumer than disney.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My goodness, Victoria must be pretty desperate! Is she really that hard up or was she just hoping for a night off of cooking. Well they couldn't be broke or they wouldn't be eating there in the first place - so I guess it is the 'something for nothing greed monster' kicking in.

Pizza Hut pizza is not a very healthy meal at the best of times but after being wrapped up in napkins and transported home it would be pretty unappetising - and probably teeming with all sorts of bacteria too.

So, no I don't think she should be going up to get more just to take home.
    First because I believe the 'all you can eat' offer applies to all you can eat at that sitting and second because I think the inadequately packaged and then warmed up slices would be extremely unhealthy (and extremely risky) for them all!

Come on Victoria, your kids' health has to be worth more than the cost of some warmed up, scavanged pizza slices.
  • bagpuss
    bagpuss Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    Way I look at it is this - if she takes some home for the kids if the kids were in the restaurant she would have had to pay them so why should they get it in effect free cause she chooses to take it home!

If the kids want pizza she can order and take it away like the rest of us would and pay for it as normal too!
  • Sarah1970
    Options
    How many people do this when on an 'All Inlusive Holiday'? You pay for your food and drink (all you can eat buffet) prior to your holiday - but again, this only means whilst you are actually at the bar or in the restaurant etc - it doesn't mean that you can take a stash of whatever you fancy 'for later' or for the beach!!. Most all inclusive venues say that you must not take food and drink items out of the restaurant, but a large percentage of people do........Fruit, cake, bread etc. Sugar, coffee, tea bags - 'just so we can have a brew when we get to the room later!!'

And how many people, get their mates at drink at the bar who are staying at either the same hotel or a nearby hotel but not on the all inclusive package. Kids are also culprits in this one - meeting friends round the pool and getting them a burger and a coke with their 'all inclusive band'!! Oh, well, I hear the parents saying - 'just getting our monies worth, or we've paid for it so they can have it'!!!!

This is on the same principle but is deemed 'acceptable' in alot of people's eyes
  • Charlie34
    Options
    Theoretically speaking, David and Victoria could both be large people with large appetites. So you could theoretically say that David and Victoria could take home as much food as would be eaten by two of Pizza Huts very hungry customers. This would make perfect economic sense to the accountants at Pizza Hut (assuming that only a small percentage of patrons did this). However, if everyone did it this might start to affect their bottom line. If however, the pizzas are very cheap and they are using up excess dough it would hardly touch their bottom line. Perhaps Pizza Hut would be happy to know that people were eating more of their products at home. But pilfering it too blatantly might set a bad example as it would encourage others, and you wouldn't want to see people coming in and loading up shopping bags full of pizza. So I think that there is a moral responsibility to keep it to a minimum and not encourage others. But as to theft - I do not think that it is tantamount to theft - it would set a legal precedent in the UK if a conviction was secured on the strength of these facts. So I say no harm done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure