Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 November 2016 at 3:09PM
    Options
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    What you're actually doing is projecting your idea of Christianity. Take one "Christian" church and ask for a biblical view on a "moral" topic and they'll give you one view. Take another and they give you an opposing view.
    Take divorce for example, "what God has joined etc.

But thanks for letting me know how it works from your perspective and your views on what the omnipotent, omniscient friend in the sky view's are.

Well all Christian denominations view the Bible as the word of god do they not?

So whilst they may have a "view" on some moral topic, ultimately if there is a clear expression in the Bible they must defer to that?

For example theres clearly a law on speeding, irrespective on my own personal view on what constitutes speeding, ultimately I must defer to the law on the subject or face the consequences....

Alternatively, yes, you could build yet another Christian denomination around the bits from the bible you cherry pick.
  • motorguy
    Options
    sportsarb wrote: »
    Assuming you read what I said above I dunno why you are asking me.

That said, the bible says lots of stuff that heterosexual people do is a sin, so if those people don't worry about it then why should anyone else? I don't actually care for the biblical arguments myself, I believe in a greater being, but I don't need any middlemen or their books to guide me along the way.

The bible, the Koran, the Torah. Which is the right one? Which version of the bible is the right one?

The bible says lots of stuff is an abomination. Good luck living every facet of your life by it but let's face it, you don't, you just choose what bits to believe and treat as important.

Good luck to you.

EDIT: Having read further posts above this one, don't treat it as a personal reply to any one person, just what my reply would be.

I wasn't asking you specifically, I was "throwing it out there".

And yes, everyone is entitled to believe (or not), and worship as they see fit.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 November 2016 at 3:24PM
    Options
    I believe (aye) there are approx 35,000 variants on Christianity. Even here there are denominations which have risen and fallen in our lifetimes. When I was a youngster, certain families in the locality were apparently cooneyite. I'm not sure what that was but I don't think it exists any more. Possibly the members drifted off to become something more mainstream. I can think of another sect which has already split following the death of its founder, and who knows, may also go into a terminal decline. Certainly, it's not as prominent as it was.
    There are of course variations in practice and belief. I'm told one little church in the larne district is happily marrying !!!!!exuals.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Alternatively, yes, you could build yet another Christian denomination around the bits from the bible you cherry pick.

...since that's been happening ever since the book of acts, why not?
  • motorguy
    Options
    ...since that's been happening ever since the book of acts, why not?

Indeed. Isn't it funny though that everyone thinks they're following the "one true religion" and everyone else is wrong?

I don't consider myself much different to religious folks actually - of the thousand odd Sun God religions with all the denominations within them, I just believe in one less religion than they do.
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    Options
    So how do they get round the fact that in the Bible its treated as an abomination? Do they just ignore that or take that bit out of their version of the bible?

along with tattoos, eating shellfish and wearing mixed fibres, I seem to recall. . .

but then the quirks of people's superstitions can be strange. Black cats. Crystals. Homeopathy. . .
  • motorguy
    Options
    RikM wrote: »
    along with tattoos, eating shellfish and wearing mixed fibres, I seem to recall. . .

but then the quirks of people's superstitions can be strange. Black cats. Crystals. Homeopathy. . .

Indeed. It's almost as if it was man written by some tribe monkeying around in the desert rather than some omnipotent being.

Also a bit odd that this omnipotent being was happy to tell people the earth was flat too....
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    Some tatts I've seen recently are worthy of eternal damnation.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    Also a bit odd that this omnipotent being was happy to tell people the earth was flat too....

Got a chapter and verse on that one? Maybe it does say that - I'm not aware of it.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options

Yeah, you made that one up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport