Have your cake, repeated.

Options

Comments

• missmean
    Options
    Surely they would not be ALLOWED to be Christians?
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who's going to forbid them? A lightning bolt from heaven?

You don't read the papers, do you? There's even a gay bishop.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are plenty of gay Christians about the place. Important to remember there are different strands of each broader religion.

I have to admit that I find it hard to understand why some gay people stay within the Catholic church given its stance. I ceased to be a Catholic many years ago because of its teachings which are extremely harmful. Strange they thought I could change something I can't, what I could change was my membership of that church.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 November 2016 at 10:51AM
    Options
    sportsarb wrote: »
    There are plenty of gay Christians about the place. Important to remember there are different strands of each broader religion.

I have to admit that I find it hard to understand why some gay people stay within the Catholic church given its stance. I ceased to be a Catholic many years ago because of its teachings which are extremely harmful. Strange they thought I could change something I can't, what I could change was my membership of that church.

Apparently it's quite common for gay men in England to convert to Catholicism. I read that in the guardian so it might have been a misprint. A bit like Mexicans voting for trump.
    We've all met catholic priests who'd pass for Kenneth Williams. Strange.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who's going to forbid them? A lightning bolt from heaven?

You don't read the papers, do you? There's even a gay bishop.

According to the Bible its an abomination.

So if that bishop is a practising !!!!!exual, then hes going to have a tough time getting past St Peter at the Pearly Gates....
  • motorguy
    Options
    sportsarb wrote: »

So how do they get round the fact that in the Bible its treated as an abomination? Do they just ignore that or take that bit out of their version of the bible?
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    So how do they get round the fact that in the Bible its treated as an abomination? Do they just ignore that or take that bit out of their version of the bible?

Ah the Old Testament. The God of Creation or the God of Redemption.

I never took you for a theologian Paul. But well done, thanks for letting us know how it all works. I'd have been lost without you and Iris Robinson to calibrate my doctrinal compass.
  • motorguy
    Options
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    Ah the Old Testament. The God of Creation or the God of Redemption.

I never took you for a theologian Paul. But well done, thanks for letting us know how it all works. I'd have been lost without you and Iris Robinson to calibrate my doctrinal compass.

Oh I'm not a theologian. Quite the reverse actually. I don't believe in an invisible friend in the sky.

But yes, just letting you know how it works from Christianity's perspective - and is probably similar in most of the other 1,000 or so Sun God religions that are in existence.

Hence why I'm surprised at the notion of a "gay Christian". Apparently our invisible friend in the sky really doesn't like that kind of thing.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I'm not a theologian. Quite the reverse actually. I don't believe in an invisible friend in the sky.

But yes, just letting you know how it works from Christianity's perspective - and is probably similar in most of the other 1,000 or so Sun God religions that are in existence.

Hence why I'm surprised at the notion of a "gay Christian". Apparently our invisible friend in the sky really doesn't like that kind of thing.

What you're actually doing is projecting your idea of Christianity. Take one "Christian" church and ask for a biblical view on a "moral" topic and they'll give you one view. Take another and they give you an opposing view.
    Take divorce for example, "what God has joined etc.

But thanks for letting me know how it works from your perspective and your views on what the omnipotent, omniscient friend in the sky view's are.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Assuming you read what I said above I dunno why you are asking me.

That said, the bible says lots of stuff that heterosexual people do is a sin, so if those people don't worry about it then why should anyone else? I don't actually care for the biblical arguments myself, I believe in a greater being, but I don't need any middlemen or their books to guide me along the way.

The bible, the Koran, the Torah. Which is the right one? Which version of the bible is the right one?

The bible says lots of stuff is an abomination. Good luck living every facet of your life by it but let's face it, you don't, you just choose what bits to believe and treat as important.

Good luck to you.

EDIT: Having read further posts above this one, don't treat it as a personal reply to any one person, just what my reply would be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure