EXTENDED: You've got another week to add your travel & holiday deals questions for expert MSE Oli as part of the latest Ask An Expert event.

TV Licence and iPlayer "away from home" rules

in TV MoneySaving
2 replies 1.3K views
Totally confused re new rules about catch up on iplayer. I know I need a licence but my boyfriend says if he comes over to my house and watches something on iplayer on his tablet, as long as it isn't plugged in, its covered by his TV licence. I dont have a licence. He does, at his address, but he's using my wifi. Is he right? Or do I need a licence for him to be able to do that?

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The rule .
    Am I covered to use BBC iPlayer when I’m on the go or abroad? If you already have a TV Licence for your address, you are already covered to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer when you’re on the go, provided the device you’re using isn’t plugged into the electricity mains at a separate address. If the device is plugged in at a separate address, you need to be covered by a licence at that address.
    >>>> As long as he runs on battery whilst watching OK and also OK to charge from your mains when not watching .>>>
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    JJ_Egan wrote: »

>>>> As long as he runs on battery whilst watching OK and also OK to charge from your mains when not watching .>>>

..and as said before - who is going to know whether its plugged in or not ?? Part of the stupidest bit of leglislation ever!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy Price Cap change

Martin Lewis on what it means for you

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum