We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lloyds Bank suspended my account when tyransferring money in from my Santader 123 acc

Options
Just a warning for those closing their Santander accounts..

I am in the process of emptying my Santander 123 account and transferring the £20k to my Lloyds account (and from there onto NS&I for premium bonds).

I sent £5k yesterday with no problem - today another £5k and my Lloyds internet banking has been suspended. I assume because of the 'unusual' large amounts.

This is not the first time this has happened with Lloyds. I should have sent the money to NS&I direct from Santander but as I already had the NS&I payee set up on Lloyds I thought it would be easier this way.

Lloyds 'fraud filters' are a real pain - a few months ago I opened a savings account (with Paragon Bank) and tried to send £6k from my Lloyds account - it was blocked - I had to go into a branch with my passport and then listen to a 3 min speel about sending money to cold callers etc.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,723 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Forewarned is forearmed - I have cancelled a forward payment from Santander to Lloyds.....
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mt99 wrote: »
    Just a warning for those closing their Santander accounts..

I am in the process of emptying my Santander 123 account and transferring the £20k to my Lloyds account (and from there onto NS&I for premium bonds).

I sent £5k yesterday with no problem - today another £5k and my Lloyds internet banking has been suspended. I assume because of the 'unusual' large amounts.

This is not the first time this has happened with Lloyds. I should have sent the money to NS&I direct from Santander but as I already had the NS&I payee set up on Lloyds I thought it would be easier this way.

Lloyds 'fraud filters' are a real pain - a few months ago I opened a savings account (with Paragon Bank) and tried to send £6k from my Lloyds account - it was blocked - I had to go into a branch with my passport and then listen to a 3 min speel about sending money to cold callers etc.

So you obviously knew this was an issue but still chose to try circumvent the checks by splitting the amounts.

A warning isn't much use if you don't even heed it yourself :rotfl:
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    Ah well when it happened before I raised a complaint and they said they would hand-enter my account in to their fraud filters so it wouldn't happen again (or at least, would be less likely to). I believed them...
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OK - fair point. I'd probably still have contacted them before making the transaction to pre-warn that it was going to happen.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    Asked last time - fraud filter dept is totally separate - 'law unto themselves' - the computers decide and no-one can override unless you do what they ask. No pre-warning etc.

Obviously a 'good' thing they are trying to catch scammers and fraudsters so I don't really have a problem as such - just a warning really if you plan to empty your 123 account via Lloyds...
  • firsttimemover
    Options
    I had the same thing, but the opposite way round, Santander blocked my account transferring the money over to BOS.

It was resolved same day by them (apparently because it was to my own account, it was easier, they phoned BOS to confirm the account was in my name) so no need to go into branch etc.

I asked them what I could do to prevent this in future and was told the same, there is nothing that I could have done differently, I can't phone up and forewarn them, or even phone up to make the transfer, it would still have triggered the same security alert. Maybe making the transfer in branch is different, but I think they still think someone could have a gun to your head forcing you to make the payment...
  • GingerFurball_2
    Options
    mt99 wrote: »

And here was me thinking Which had lodged a super complaint because banks have no processes to protect their customer's money.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Here was me thinking that you are talking about people making mistakes with account details and being foolish by sending funds to fraudsters.

I've recently had issues with sending faster payments with LBG systems -
    not only did it block a new payment/lock me out of Internet banking, after a lengthy wait to the fraud department and subsequent unlock, it then locked me out when I tried again - appalling service.

As with most 'fraud' it's the bank protecting itself not the customer.

And here was me thinking Which had lodged a super complaint because banks have no processes to protect their customer's money.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    Surely LloydsTSB group are going to adjust their systems before the end of the month to cater for the billions that are going to be transferred out of Santander?
  • GingerFurball_2
    Options
    Lloyds won't block or refer transfers inwards.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport