Cailbhinn's debt journey!

Options

Comments

• Cailbhinn
    Options
    I used to just brim it - but aren't I wasting fuel by having to use fuel to carry the fuel? IYSWIM

My pedantry and quirks are renowned. Can't get up unless it is on the 0 or 5 minute mark. Things have to be lined up etc
    Starting Debt (31 Oct 2016) - £12,956 | Current Debt (31 Jan 2017) - £10,465 (20% paid)
  • Cailbhinn
    Cailbhinn Posts: 93 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2016 at 10:51PM
    Options
    Cailbhinn wrote: »
    Wee bit bored today - rain curtailed my grass cutting and car washing day. So I applied for a 0% balance transfer card to try shift some of the debt from the low interest (6.5%) card it is currently sitting. Thanks to the MSE eligibility calculator, I have been approved! :T Credit limit of £3,200 which isn't too shabby either. Transfer fee is about three months interest so that's good. Debt will slightly increase as a headline figure but will be paying off more each month.

Today wasn't a NSD - my turn to buy the toilet roll and soap powder. Also got some juice and bananas so £10.62. Also put £19.11 worth of petrol in the motor. A weird amount you say? Well used my YNAB and that's what I had left in fuel budget. I'm a master of the fuel nozzle! :D Should last me til next month.

I should add the snowball calculator is saying I should clear it in 24 months (November 2018). I doubt it will be then but never know. As an NHS worker I am guaranteed roughly 3 to 4% increment each year - meaning I can pay more each January (when my increment is). That's in addition to my so-call 'cost-of-living' increase in April which is likely to be capped at 1% for the foreseeable.
    Starting Debt (31 Oct 2016) - £12,956 | Current Debt (31 Jan 2017) - £10,465 (20% paid)
  • Cailbhinn
    Options
    Another NSD for me. Quite chuffed with myself. Getting that 0% card yesterday certainly helped. I've tried and failed before with debt clearance but I am super determined to get shot of this debt once and for all. Today I was knackered though and had to stay late to sort something out for management - I'm confident that it will be very good news for me if accepted!
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hey Cailbhinn, you are guaranteed 3-4% per year? Pity we can't all live on your planet. Not even the civil service gets that or anything like it. 1% pay rise a year, possibly, if they are lucky and as for the private sector, "lucky to have a job"...

Seriously, with your level of security, you could do wonders with your finances if you wanted to.
  • Cailbhinn
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Hey Cailbhinn, you are guaranteed 3-4% per year?

In England, increments have been curtailed for those on Agenda for change but luckily not in Scotland. I've a few increments to go before I'm top of my band. Of course not all the bands are as high but mines does for the last three or so incremental points.
  • debtnav
    debtnav Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Good switch!
    :coffee: Your company gets me through the day. x
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Next life around, I'll consider being Scottish... it seems there are compensations for the poor returns on solar panels. :D
  • amaranthus
    Options
    I work in the higher education sector and get the same as you, Cailbhinn - 3% per year and 1% cost of living. Trouble is I'm only one point away from the top of my band now, so next year (October is my increment date) is the last time I'll get the 3% unless I get a promotion to the next grade!

I'd love to be able to clear my debt by next October, but the snowball calculator is currently saying June 2018. We shall see!
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Just wanted to pop by and say hellllllllo!

I'm with you about not posting the SOA - I've seen a few people get quite shirty about sky, mobiles etc. Yes, we want to get out of debt and we are serious, but we've taken the decision to keep a couple of luxuries to keep us going.

I know my sky at £50 a month is very expensive and £600 a year. However, my hubby works away a lot and not having many friends where we live, winter nights can come very long! In comparison hubby and I could have one night in the local pub, kebab and taxi home! Compared with 30 days of walking dead, sons of anarchy or breaking bad:j
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • Cailbhinn
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their comments. Another NSD for me - 7 so far which I am chuffed with. Bit knackered today so early to be methinks.

Currently on course for around £170 overpayment this month to debt. And I paid around £60 more than the minimum at beginning of month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure