EXTENDED: You've got another week to add your travel & holiday deals questions for expert MSE Oli as part of the latest Ask An Expert event.

TV Licence Question

pioneer31pioneer31 Forumite
330 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
I have an old CRT TV with an analogue tuner and it is fed from a Freeview box.

If I get rid of the freeview box, which will render the TV unable to receive TV channels, do I still have to pay the licence?

I may switch it on to watch DVDs though..


  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    No need for a licence if you cannot receive any of the digital channels.
  • downshifterdownshifter Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    No need for a licence if you don't watch live TV (whether on TV, computer, phone etc). I have the same set up (very old telly) and use it to watch videos, dvds and non live internet stuff such as youtube, old films etc. using a great little gizmo recommended by someone on here!

    The licensing people didn't have any problem when I rang to cancel, in fact even offered a rebate as I said I hadn't watched live tv for 3 months.

  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    16K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Since 1 Sep, the TV Licence has been required to-

    - Watch or Record any linear TV channels via Freeview, Cable or Satellite.

    - Stream the equivalent programs live over the Internet.

    - Watch or Download TV programmes using BBC iPlayer (except S4C).

    If you don't do any of the above, you don't need a TV Licence.
    ex Board Guide

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy Price Cap change

Martin Lewis on what it means for you

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum