Blogging

Options

Comments

• scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are unlikely to make much at the beginning, but over time if you are blogging about something people want to read about and have an engaging writing style, you may start to see your income rising.

Frequency of blogging is something you will work out for yourself over time, once you understand your audience better. Personally I would read a blog daily if it interested me enough, but equally a blog updated just a couple of times a month might be fine too, it all boils down to the subject matter.

You could well end up writing for nothing, you won't know unless you try unfortunately! I'd give it at least a couple of months and see how many visitors you are getting after that. If you don't enjoy it then don't bother as that will come across and nobody will want to read it, if you do enjoy it, then just do it for the pleasure!
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • mrsyardbroom
    mrsyardbroom Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The subject will be managing as a widow. I sadly lost my husband last Saturday and after a few days I was shocked to find out what that would mean for me financially. My income will be cut in half and I have to find the money for a funeral. I was thinking of sharing my experiences with other newly widowed ladies. I will have to earn some money online in order to manage a bit better so this will be included in the blog. I already have a website but this is about something else entirely. I haven't made much from it in the last two or three years as most of my energy has gone into caring for my husband. I may just start work on the website again and see how it goes.
    Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a thread here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74582290#post74582290

About coping as a widow , plenty of tips and help
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    The subject will be managing as a widow. I sadly lost my husband last Saturday and after a few days I was shocked to find out what that would mean for me financially. My income will be cut in half and I have to find the money for a funeral. I was thinking of sharing my experiences with other newly widowed ladies. I will have to earn some money online in order to manage a bit better so this will be included in the blog. I already have a website but this is about something else entirely. I haven't made much from it in the last two or three years as most of my energy has gone into caring for my husband. I may just start work on the website again and see how it goes.

Sorry for your loss xxx If you put the link to your website in your profile, more people might find it. Can you expend on it to bring it up to date with what has happened so far, bring in extra topics which are relevant to your day to day living.

As regards blogging, it's a long hard journey to build up page views and regular readers. Some of my readers have been with me since I started, ten years ago. Some new readers go back to the beginning and read through the whole lot, I am always amazed when that happens. I post almost every day, but I am slowing up a bit now and having some days off. My blog doesn't make money, I live just fine on my pension.

If you are going to blog, just be aware that it won't bring in an immediate income, you have to spend hours, not only writing it, but promoting it as well. To make money you need to plug endlessly on other social media, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and suchlike.

Good luck whatever you decide.
    ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ilona wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss xxx If you put the link to your website in your profile, more people might find it. Can you expend on it to bring it up to date with what has happened so far, bring in extra topics which are relevant to your day to day living.

As regards blogging, it's a long hard journey to build up page views and regular readers. Some of my readers have been with me since I started, ten years ago. Some new readers go back to the beginning and read through the whole lot, I am always amazed when that happens. I post almost every day, but I am slowing up a bit now and having some days off. My blog doesn't make money, I live just fine on my pension.

If you are going to blog, just be aware that it won't bring in an immediate income, you have to spend hours, not only writing it, but promoting it as well. To make money you need to plug endlessly on other social media, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and suchlike.

Good luck whatever you decide.
    ilona

I didnt think people were allowed to link to outside websites on here?

There is a blogger on here who is quite famous, Kitty or Katy or something like that.

But if you listen to any successful blogger, it is a near enough full time role. Good luck.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • Ilona
    Options
    mikep22 wrote: »

There is a blogger on here who is quite famous, Kitty or Katy or something like that.

But if you listen to any successful blogger, it is a near enough full time role. Good luck.

You can put it in your profile, but not in your post or signature. If you click on my name you will see a link to my homepage.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Ilona
    Options
    Thanks IIona,

Just heard in the news an entire estate in Hull is being taken over by street artists.

They are starting to paint the houses today. I might go and take a look at it when it's done.

https://twitter.com/Banksidegalhull

ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • tonycottee
    tonycottee Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mikep22 wrote: »

Katykicker. She posts quite often in the competitions board.
  • lilolilly2
    Options
    Thanks for the adsense advice. I will look into this for my own blog
  • LushesFaith
    Options
    I blog and occasionally do youtube. I started a new blog this year with my cousin but she dropped out after launch. But I love the name and theme and topic focus so much that I plan to carry it on anyway. I just need to plan some content and get going. I am changing my template as well. I use 123 reg to buy domains and use tso host and jolly leaf for hosting of my blogs. I need to work on consistency and get posting regular. I want the blogs to pay for themselves. I just need to learn how to attract advertisers brands etc. My personal blog has been listed on Vuelio - some brands contact me but I need to improve my social figures I guess.
    To make money work for me
    To save and do great things with the family
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family