Blogging

Options

Comments

• Zosa
    Zosa Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I used to have my own website, which mainly centered around doing product reviews but I really struggled with getting people to view my website and thus generate money so I ended up giving up.

Was a shame as it's something I very much enjoyed doing but struggled to find the time when you do not generate any profit when I could of been doing other things.
  • Chloe_G
    Chloe_G Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    So.... I would want to do an impersonal factual blog like Bearly. Would the best way to start be to have a free wordpress .com blog and then once I get a few followers and I have honed my skills (!) to pay for the package where I can accept advertising? With the social media aspect, how would I spread the word if I don't want my work colleagues etc to know that the blog is mine??
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chloe_G wrote: »
    So.... I would want to do an impersonal factual blog like Bearly. Would the best way to start be to have a free wordpress .com blog and then once I get a few followers and I have honed my skills (!) to pay for the package where I can accept advertising? With the social media aspect, how would I spread the word if I don't want my work colleagues etc to know that the blog is mine??

Is there any reason your name would need to be on it? I think if your blog/social media accounts are about lifestyle-related issues you need to have your real details and pics. Especially because if you get sponsors they will want endorsements from a real person etc. If it is about an 'impersonal factual' subject then you don't really need any of that. My Instagram account is about my photography and the area I live in. My name and photo do not appear anywhere on it, but I still get shout outs and regrams by local publications and organisations. Obviously if my account got really popular I might need to think about putting my name on it, but it is fine for now.
  • DrummondCQ
    Options
    I've found UnBounce to be useful if you need to set up a website quickly and test different versions to see which perform / convert the best.

D
  • Redalligator
    Options
    I have recently made a website with a blog. It's really hard work trying to get traffic and it makes me feel as if i'm doing something wrong. However i have seen many posts mentioning how long it takes to get steady traffic to your website. I would very much prefer 10 regular readers than 1000 people visit my site. If there are any experienced bloggers out there id appreciate your help.
  • veneta
    veneta Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    luke623 wrote: »
    I have recently made a website with a blog. It's really hard work trying to get traffic and it makes me feel as if i'm doing something wrong. However i have seen many posts mentioning how long it takes to get steady traffic to your website. I would very much prefer 10 regular readers than 1000 people visit my site. If there are any experienced bloggers out there id appreciate your help.

Just don't give up! You need to be serious about it and consistent if you need to succeed. You need a lot of patience. It took me forever to see steady traffic from Google with my blog. Just post regularly and learn basic SEO.
  • Redalligator
    Options
    veneta wrote: »
    Just don't give up! You need to be serious about it and consistent if you need to succeed. You need a lot of patience. It took me forever to see steady traffic from Google with my blog. Just post regularly and learn basic SEO.
    Thanks! could you private message me your blog? i would love to check it out :)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    luke623 wrote: »

Experienced blogger here. I can't see a link to your homepage in your profile, that would be a good start. You need to read other people's blogs and make comments, which will leave your link, then others will click on it and find you.

It takes a while to get going, consistency is the key, write interesting copy about a subject you know a lot about. Could be anything, but you must be passionate about it.

I prefer chatty blogs, don't like blogs written like magazine with articles. But that's just my preference. My blog is my hobby, I don't do it for money, I write almost every day and I get 6000 page views a day, but it has taken nine years to get to this stage.

A lot of bloggers give up after a short time, they run out of steam, you have to be prepared to put the time in. Sorry I know nothing about SEO.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • cuthbertlilly
    Options
    apologies for my ignorance, but I cannot see anyone's link to their blog when I click on 'view public profile', am I looking in the wrong place?
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    apologies for my ignorance, but I cannot see anyone's link to their blog when I click on 'view public profile', am I looking in the wrong place?

I am still on the old forum layout, don't know if it makes a difference to be on the new one. I tried it and didn't like it.

Click on User name, drop down box, click on Visit Homepage. Should work, mine does.

Ilona

PS. Luke has added his Homepage, veneta hasn't.
    I love skip diving.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family