PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Productivity/ energy tips

Options

Comments

• thriftmonster
    Options
    Lists are the way I get things done. Although I must admit to usually starting the day's list with one thing that I have already done so that I can cross it off straight away!!
    Anything left from yesterday's list gets transferred to today's list. I use a pad with a fridge magnet on the back - but there is an app called Remember the milk - which is quite good (and free I think)
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lists are the way I get things done. Although I must admit to usually starting the day's list with one thing that I have already done so that I can cross it off straight away!!
    Anything left from yesterday's list gets transferred to today's list. I use a pad with a fridge magnet on the back - but there is an app called Remember the milk - which is quite good (and free I think)

BestToDoListEver.jpg
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to work with somebody who spent half her day writing to do lists. It was a good way of avoiding doing things........

I was watching ITV last night, bobbing up and down during the ad breaks was quite productive. Recognising whether you're a morning or evening person helps. I'm a morning person, so it takes a bit of a shove to get me to do things once I've finished work. I'm trying to get in the habit of stopping at 4.30pm (I work from home and I'm usually at my desk at 7.30-8am) and doing the exciting stuff like ironing whilst there's still a bit of daylight to motivate me. Once the nights get dark, I find it very difficult, so the ad break tasks are quite useful in that I do at least get off the sofa several times.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It can be helpful to get dressed before getting the children up. Then leave the house at the same time as them and have a brisk walk whatever the weather....as though you had a dog:)
    When you get in do not sit down but complete one task from your list.
    You can then switch on your tablet , read mails, drink coffee.....but you'll be awake and more able to cope.

Good luck.
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    NewShadow wrote: »
    BestToDoListEver.jpg

This!

My kind of list! x
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Just a wee note to say thank you to all who have contributed to this thread, and to the OP for starting it.
    I am struggling with day to day life at the minute and have followed some of the tips here, especially the list idea with little jobs as well as larger ones.
    I have started to do this daily. Definitely helps to remember what needs to be done, but is also very satisfying to cross off what I have done.
    And I leave the list out in full view of anyone else in the family who wonders why I haven't done something; they can see all of the things which I have done.
    I break it down even so much as 'put washing on', 'hang washing up', etc etc.
    So thank you. I mean it. Better get on now and do the first thing on today's list!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    rosie383 - I keep a day list of things I've done mostly just for me - so when I'm feeling hopeless I can think - look what I did already! Not hopeless! Effective domestic manager! Award self a biscuit!

It also reminds me if I've already done something - so no repeats for me - and I jot down things like more loo rolls (and more biscuits) as I go along.

I'm not fond of housework so anything to make it seem interesting :rotfl:

Take care, hun xx
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I've been desperately short of energy this whole year and I'd second the suggestion of doing things in short bursts. Like put kettle on and load washing machine then wipe down kitchen while waiting for it to boil. Then sit down and drink tea lol. I have got a husband who is doing most of the housework but if he's out then I just spot hoover, do the bits that are needing it or that show lol. Let dishes drip dry, don't iron unless vital, pick up and put things away on the hoof as you're passing.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Slowly. I'm never at risk of repeating housework!!!

Do you find yourself getting sidetracked? Or maybe it's procrastinating. I have a long list of stuff which I do need to do today, but I have just spent the last hour reorganising my kitchen cupboards! They look good and I actually have more space now so have somewhere to hide all of the clutter which inevitably ends up all over the kitchen island. That's got to help the place look cleaner and tidier!
    Really should do a stock take and a meal plan, but it's one of my most hated jobs. Well, not the stock take as such, I just hate trying to meal plan. Once I have done it, it really takes the pressure off as I honestly can lie awake worrying about what I am going to cook.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,179 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The posts about lists reminds me of one of my favourite anecdotes. I worked somewhere where a new manager came. He used to spend a chunk of the morning writing out all the staffs job lists to give them, but these jobs were all what each individual knew to do as their daily tasks anyway and got on with, it was HIM that was time wasting by writing them out. One day a member of staff got hold of anothers job list and wrote these tasks at the bottom

Paint the carpark
    Round up a tiger
    Raise the Titanic

Lists work for some people. Whilst pottering about this morning, I've realised we have several items that need ordering on-line. I'm going to jot them down shortly, just so I don't forget. Other than that the bedrooms and bathroom need doing, but I don't need to write that one day, I will either remember or get a stark reminder when I enter the rooms concerned!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport