silent treatment

Options
Hi... has anybody dealt wth 'silent treatment' ... where your partner for whatever reason decides that they are annoyed with you so merely ignores you ... or insults you if they do speak ?
Had this for sometime and whilst I can read all about it being for obssessive or narcissistic people actually DEALING with it is hard. Any useful suggestions please.

Comments

• dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    Get a new partner!
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    Hi... has anybody dealt wth 'silent treatment' ... where your partner for whatever reason decides that they are annoyed with you so merely ignores you ... or insults you if they do speak ?
    Had this for sometime and whilst I can read all about it being for obssessive or narcissistic people actually DEALING with it is hard. Any useful suggestions please.

Ohh - sounds horrible!

They are not able to express their anger and it sounds like your SO wants to hurt you or punish you for something . .

Ask them if there is a reason for this behaviour because you'd like to resolve it. Gently state that you don't like being treated like this!!
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you tied talking to them?
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you tied checking if your partner is still alive?
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Li0nhead wrote: »
    Have you tied checking if your partner is still alive?

:rotfl::rotfl:
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    My first wife was a champion sulker, my advice is .........

Second wife's are sooooo much better.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just carry on as if they are not sulking, even if you have to mentally fill in the gaps where they are not speaking.

If they cannot learn to articulate their problems, you have to remind them you are not a mind reader.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can view the plus side here whereby you are getting peace from the situation, Whilst living in silence is not a great thing to deal with in some cases it will be better than full blown rows, Then when things are back to normal explain that the silent treatment hurts more so than discussing like an adult, If this fails to work after a few times then addressing the fact that you with this person is a must with a view to move on perhaps.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm awful at going silent if there is something on my mind or if I had a row with my partner. My last partner used to take me out for a walk somewhere as she knew getting me out the house would get me to talk & say what was wrong.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can view the plus side here whereby you are getting peace from the situation, Whilst living in silence is not a great thing to deal with in some cases it will be better than full blown rows, Then when things are back to normal explain that the silent treatment hurts more so than discussing like an adult, If this fails to work after a few times then addressing the fact that you with this person is a must with a view to move on perhaps.

TBH I'd prefer a good old humdinger then it's over and done with, than something dragging on for days. My ex could be like that at times, I just used to ignore him and crack on :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure