PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate Agent did viewing damaged quartz worktop!

Options

Comments

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How bizarre. A 'mature' person isn't necessarily going to be any more responsible that a young one, and surely an estate agent of any age should avoid damaging a clients property?

Well, a mature person usually has more life experience (unless they have lived as a hermit) so given the choice I would much rather have a viewing conducted by an older person and preferably an older woman (which was the case with the EA we chose).

Of course, you can get careless older women, but I haven't come across that many, but I have come across lots of careless young men as well as some very careful ones (one of my stepsons is very careful and the other is very careless).

And of course, no EA should damage a client's property but they do as this thread shows.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd contact the kitchen fitters and get them to quote for a repair. They will also be able to comment on how the damage was caused and possibly put it in writing.
  • rachelandgromit
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    I'd contact the kitchen fitters and get them to quote for a repair. They will also be able to comment on how the damage was caused and possibly put it in writing.

Good idea I'll contact them now.

Rachel
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    marksoton wrote: »
    Unique in that they discriminated when employing people?

If they don't even understand basic employment law........

If you want someone with experience you can employ someone with experience. That is not against the law.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    If you want someone with experience you can employ someone with experience. That is not against the law.

Running a business you cannot openly state a USP as employing "mature" people.

Come on.....
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    Well, a mature person usually has more life experience (unless they have lived as a hermit) so given the choice I would much rather have a viewing conducted by an older person and preferably an older woman (which was the case with the EA we chose).
    It doesn't take life experience to show someone round a house.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good job that you will be selling the house, leaving the slightly dropped worktop behind. It will be up to the new owners to repair it or live with it. On balance it wont affect the sale of the property.
  • rachelandgromit
    Options
    Whether it sells or not is irrelevant, I mean it could be months till we get a sale and why should anyone buying it be left with a damaged garage door lock and worktop caused by the EA.

Had no feedback on the viewings but I've got in touch with the worktop company emailed lots of pictures which they are going to review and then try and quote for repair/then visit if necessary. They said it would need a bit of force to damage it. I've forwarded the email onto the EA too.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    two viewings both single elderly men

Many older chaps, particularly if they are a bit arthritic, frequently pull themselves up by holding onto some nearby object.

My husband is notorious for bending or stooping down, perhaps to look into or return some item to a base cupboard, and then haul himself up by leaning on the worktop.

He has frequently leaned on something unstable such as a dining chair or vacuum cleaner, and tipped it and himself over!

That might answer the how part of your problem.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought someone might have stood on the worktop to look at the {switches/air vent/wiring/cupboard tops} and damaged it in the process!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure