PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate Agent did viewing damaged quartz worktop!

Options
Omg I'm hopping crazy!

Had two viewings on my house today. It's the first time Reeds Rains have done viewings when I've not been there as I've normally just let them in, disappeared round the block and come home 10 mins later.

Today they knew I wasn't going to be in so they would be letting themselves in and I left the garage key with a note.

I've just got in and the garage door was unlocked and had come ajar (it's full of things as we have started to pack). I struggled to get it to lock as appeared they had twisted the lock handle and damaged it. No call to say they couldn't lock it or had left it insecure

The absolutely worst thing was that my gorgeous quartz worktop has been damaged. I immediately noticed something odd as there was what I can only describe as white dirt on the worktop (which showed up easily as it is a black worktop) and it appears to have been forced down, like someone has stood on it as the corner joint now is uneven, like one side lower than the other and there is a lip. It has also come away from the upstand. This is something that must have needed a bit of force to do. They had one single man at noon and another single man 20 minutes later so either they haven't been 'supervising' them properly or the agent has damaged it, god only knows how.

Obviously they are shut now and by time 9am comes I'll be ready to explode. Regardless on the feedback or even if my property gets an offer is irrelevant and what's my first point off call? I've taken photos and I'm thinking of immediately asking the manager who valued and inspected the property to come out to look at the damage.

Surely they are responsible when they are doing viewings that no damage is done??? :mad:

Comments

• rachelandgromit
    rachelandgromit Posts: 826 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2016 at 7:20PM
    Options
    Thank you. Took a deep breath and managed to send a factual and calm message to the manager as I still have her email from the business card. I did however end it with a bit about no longer giving them permission to enter tbe house without me present and I would be collecting the house keys tomorrow. To be honest they've not been great from the start, listing wrong, house measurements wrong, never even been on time for any viewing with the viewers always arriving before the agent etc. We have seen a couple of properties we are interested in that are both marketed with them so we thought they'd push the sale more.

I decided against a voicemail as I'll be on their front doorstep at 9am when they open. I'm so angry. Got photos but as its a black sparkly worktop you can't actually see much!
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Best advice, even though tempting to explode, shout etc, it's best to be calm - that way you come across as more clear.

In my experience, an angry ranting customer makes no sense.

Good luck.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Best advice, even though tempting to explode, shout etc, it's best to be calm - that way you come across as more clear.

In my experience, an angry ranting customer makes no sense.

Good luck.

And more serious that you'll pursue things further.....
  • rachelandgromit
    Options
    Got onto phone at 9am the anger has gone and I had to do all I could not to burst into tears. Spoke to the agent who did the viewings and calmly went through everything. Apologised for leaving garage door open as he "thought he locked it" and he said he was with viewings at all time and didn't see any damage. I suspect both men were there at the same time at some point if one was at 12 and one at 1220 so I can't see he was with them both at the same timr. Waiting for manager to call back and said I want her to visit today to review damage.

You can actually see from the pictures on the listing and the ones I took the drop slightly. I'm just so upset now. I'm going in later to see he mortgage advisor so I'll be getting my keys back but I think I'm just going to burst into tears when I go in. I'm so angry and upset now, house selling is expensive enough but when you can't trust the estate agent to look after your house it's just not on.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options

You can actually see from the pictures on the listing and the ones I took the drop slightly. I'm just so upset now. I'm going in later to see he mortgage advisor so I'll be getting my keys back but I think I'm just going to burst into tears when I go in. I'm so angry and upset now, house selling is expensive enough but when you can't trust the estate agent to look after your house it's just not on.

Woah! The estate agents mortgage advisor?

If you can't trust them with a worktop why on earth would you trust them with your finances??!!!
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Is it likely that the agent or one of the viewers climbed up and stood on the worktop?

Is there a boiler or electric consumer unit etc. they might have wanted a closer look at? If not it is rather bizarre behaviour and would be impossible to prove on balance of probability.
  • rachelandgromit
    Options
    The manager has emailed me back:

Good Morning,

I have just returned from annual leave this morning I have spoken to Lewis about your comments . I am sorry that you have had to send this email.
    Lewis is and has always been a high valued member of the team and has never had any complaints from anyone, if anything he is very orgainised and checks his works throughly normally. He always walks around with the clients and doesnt leave them alone as I have observed him. I will need to have more information as to how he has caused the damage and evidance . I will be speaking to the viewers to investigate and gain their opinion on your compliant and to get their version of events so this can be claryified and cleared up for you.
    With the garage door Lewis has advised me that he had difficulty with the lock and found it hard to close and double checked it was locked on exit.

Once I have completed my full investigation and spoken to all parties as well if I need to get our insurance company invloved from my findings . I will come back to you on the points.
    If you have any photos Please send me across.

The keys will be ready for you in the office as requested.

Regards
  • rachelandgromit
    Options
    marksoton wrote: »
    Woah! The estate agents mortgage advisor?

If you can't trust them with a worktop why on earth would you trust them with your finances??!!!

Ah, just playing the game we are porting over and are stuck with the Principality anyway so we are just seeing what deals he can do and comparing to Principality direct.

Nope, I can see no reason why they'd need to sit, stand or kneel on the worktop but all I know was it wasn't like that when I left and they are the only other key holders.
  • Noctu
    Noctu Posts: 1,553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If that's the standard of English the manager employs when writing emails, I wouldn't be happy that they would solve the issue!

It's already been said of course but make sure you get as much evidence as possible, write everything down, take loads of pictures.
  • rachelandgromit
    Options
    You want to see the Rightmove listing they did. It took 3 attempts to get that right and a refund of £125 initial fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure