Where can I download Windows 7 Professional (legally)?

Options
My son has been given an older ex company laptop to use for university assignments. He has been given it by a friend who has had various systems on it, but now the hard drive is wiped clean.

The machine has a sticker underneath with the serial for Windows 7 Professional. His friend says that if he can obtain a version of that system he can install it and use the number from underneath to activate the machine.

As this is for university use we want the machine to be legally set up for him. Could anyone point to a way of downloading Windows 7 Pro. I believe it is the 64 bit version that was in use originally.

Thank you.

Comments

• flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 4,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That might work, but he then may find that the licence requires the computer to be regularly connected to the original corporate licence server. My sister had the same issue and I believe ended up having to get another licence.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    That might work, but he then may find that the licence requires the computer to be regularly connected to the original corporate licence server. My sister had the same issue and I believe ended up having to get another licence.

The CoA on the laptop will be the original OEM license that came with the laptop and activates normally, it won't be an enterprise version with a VLU key that needs a corporate license server. Even though we use the latter at work and purchase PC's from a single supplier in high numbers, the PC's still come with an individual pro license.

John
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    If unsuccesful, let me know when I'm back from my hols next week.
  • Harold.Finch
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies.

My son is coming over on Sunday. I'll get the code from the sticker then and try the suggestions. Will report back.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Also double check the bios for malware, you never know where Samaritan has reached these days.

John
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If really stuck, there are usually offers for students on the latest OS, and also for things like Office, if he doesn't like Libre Office.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure