PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Friday 30 September 2016

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 30 September 2016 at 7:08AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Friday 30 September 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry underfoot and breezy, hope to get another wash load dry on the line. Managed several loads yesterday, hoping that I can get the bed linen done today too. Need to get this done today as rain is forecast for tomorrow.

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early. DS1 up and gone to work too. DS2 still in his pit, no college today, so he may come to the SM with me to push the trolley - if I can get him out of bed at a reasonable time!

Dinner last night was another disjointed meal myself and the boys had the gammon, egg, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg. DH was late again due to another load late in the day but not as late as the day before, so he had his grilled gammon with egg and toast. Tonight's dinner is going to be chicken casserole (cooked in the slow cooker) new pots/mash and veg. I've decided to go down this route tonight as I've got a nail appointment at 3pm and as she's always running late, thought this would be the best solution so I'm not running around last minute trying to put a meal together, and I didn't want to serve chips again. I'll put the chicken casserole on at lunchtime, then it'll be nicely cooked for 6-7pm ish.

I was reasonably productive yesterday, I managed to get nearly all the washing drying and ironing done, just one load that needs ironing and another load that needs to go out on the line this morning. I did run round with the hoover so looks ok. I visited the butcher, and bought a pack of 6 mahoosive chicken breasts, 3 pork shanks and a 1lb of cubed beef, I wanted 2lb beef, but didn't realise until I got home, that was going in the freezer for another day so will just get some more next shopping day to add to it. I have added these spends to my diary where I'm keeping track of the household food spend, I'll be visiting the SM today to do the main week's food shop, hoping to get a cheaper week, but that's what I thought last week and it was expensive! We'll see. I did spend some time yesterday checking cupboards and freezers to check out what I've actually got in stock, need to be using up all the bits and pieces, that is going to be the mission over the coming weeks, one night a week to use up something from the cupboard or freezer to make a meal - that could be interesting then!

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• FurryBeastOz
    Options
    Morning. Day has started early and not pleasantly. We found Ozzie in the garden. He's been out all night as far as we can tell. He's awake but can't stand and is breathing very harshly. Can I have some prayers pleases. We're waiting for the vet to open.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • camelot1001
    Options
    Morning All

Guess what? Yep, it's raining!

Slept to the alarm clock this morning and have made scotch pancakes for the MacMillan coffee morning at school today. Made the biscuits the other night. No lunch today!

Well done Speky! Must be a lovely feeling for you.
    Sorry but I had to laugh Gers, at least the stories were fairly harmless. You are such a good friend to these folk.
    Hope you are enjoying your new stove RR, looks lovely. I'm so glad I had one put in, makes you feel so cosy.
    Lainey - I bet your DM is happy to be out of hospital.
    Hope everyone is well.

Must visit my veggie patch later, not been all week and it may have been blown away!

Happy Friday, take care. XX
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Dry here atm buy cooler again, off to work for me I would say at least its Friday but im working al weekend :rotfl:

Will have a takeaway tonight and a glass of wine or two but wont be up too late as have to be up early.

Great news dd got offered the job she went for :j I am so pleased for her and proud of her, she will be dealing in the field of child abuse and its a new scheme being set up, its just what she wanted to do and her degree covers this field, she does not start till January so will stay in the present job until mid December then have some time off over Xmas then start fresh in January :T She is on a really good wage and will start paying housekeep to me, I have not charged her anything all the time she was at uni but she will be on more than me now ! so that will help the family coffers !!

Shopping being delivered tonight and I will need to do a wash and dry some work t shirts.

House was all cosy again last night just with off cuts OH is bringing home atm so all free !

Furry I do hope Oz is ok, please keep us posted xx

Have good days all xx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

Camelot - raining here too. Has been all night. I sqidged my way on the lawn to reach the bird feeders. And yes, I had to laugh too! She must be working hard to maintain such a good facade.

Furry- I'm so sorry to hear about Oz and my thoughts are certainly sending out positive vibes.

Yesterday's teaching was much better. The students were engaged and responsive, lets see how long that lasts.

This morning I'm taking a couple of regulars shopping in town and then doing a quick zoom down to Mums. I wasn't planning to but BT have sent out a 'change your password in five days or we'll suspend access until you do' email so it needs done. I'll be back tomorrow.

I hope everyone enjoys Friday.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just popping in to add my thoughts for Oz - Furry, everything crossed, hope you are okay X

Been MIA - life is good but too mundane for me to add much to the daily chat, do read though - hugs to all X
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning, thanks nmlc for the thread xx

Positive thoughts and prayers going out to Furry xxx

Up slightly later today as I'm the only one who needs to be somewhere - DD and DS2 have an inset day and DS1 doesn't have college on Fridays. I will do a couple of hours at the church then off to Aldi and Asda for some shopping. Nmlc - why don't you join us over on the Grocery Challenge? Theres a few of us on there (Jackie, dumpling, newroadahead). It might help you keep track :)

DH and chums arrived safely in Scotland and its wet and windy. Gers - safe travels x

Lainey - hope Mum is settled at DBs and you manage to sort the bungalow out x
    Hugs to Hester and Hilstep and anyone else who is poorly xxx
    Congrats to your DD redruby xx

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • lonewhitewolf
    Options
    Morning all
    Furry hope ozzie is ok x
    Well today is my last full day off and have load's to do. WM on as weather is good and will try to get it dry outside. DW emptied.
    FIL has another infection.
    Babysitting my DGD tonight to give DD1 a break so hopefully she will be asleep when we get there.
    DH needs to cut the grass before the 6th as we have a rental inspection then so he will be grumpy later I expect. I would do it but the house deal is I take care of the inside and he does the outside so not going to.
    Dinner tonight is liver and bacon casserole at DH request as he watched a programme last night on the way fats affect your heart and offal was one of the lowest contributers to the bad colesteral. He is worried that we are eating way too much red meat. We don't eat that much as chicken is a strong favourite here. Mind you must include more fish in our diet as it's a rare treat now days.
    Anyhoo enough waffle from me.
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

Thank you nmlc for starting off the thread this morning.
    It's a bright and sunny morning here today, the girls have just left for school and I've just finished my first cup of tea :). Hubby is on a half day but he has to go and get a prescription from the surgery as during a routine blood test they found he has a low thyroid count. The results from his biopsies are still not back so we are definitely thinking no news is good news. He feels so much better though for which I am very thankful.

I went out with my lovely CMHT lady yesterday. We went to Asda so I could buy a new top each for the girls are there new Autumn stock is in and there were loads of lovely things. Of course a couple of bits for my grandchildren fell in my trolley as well :rotfl:. The girls were very happy with their new clothes and I will be seeing the grandchildren on Saturday to give them theirs.

Furry, I hope and pray Oz is ok. These furbabies steal your heart don't they.
    lonewhitewolf, I love offal so liver and bacon sounds wonderful and it's so cheap too. Which programme was it that your DH watched?
    Gers, glad your students seemed more motivated to learn and how funny about your little old lady and her stories.
    redruby, congratulations to your DD, the job sounds like it will be very worthwhile.
    camelot, I'm sending you some sunshine in a hug x

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

just popped in to say, i hope all goes well at the vets with Ozzie. I must say, age is catching up with my oldest furbaby. She is grumpy when i try and groom her and when she is asleep only an earthquake could wake her. She doesnt seem to be in any pain though i think a trip to the vets might be called for at some point. even if it is to see if they can trim her nails as thats a major battle with her at the moment.

Mentally, I dont think i could cope with another bereavement. I'm still struggling with the death of my lovely Auntie and of course, my Mother.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
  • lonewhitewolf
    Options
    Dumpling it was on BBC 1 the truth about meat.
    Bright Blessings xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport