Options
2»

Comments

• arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is a great tool for Fords
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-USB-Modified-ELM327-Elmconfig-Forscan-Ford-Focus-Mondeo-Kuga-S-Max-/181457166623?nav=SEARCH

Elm cable

And download software call forscan for free
  • Mr.Generous
    Options
    As engine codes are universal will Forscan work for all cars? If not anyone recommend the best free software, I have an EML cable but the software I had was licensed to my old laptop (with zero battery life) and works with windows XP and Vista. Thanks.
  • Joe_Horner
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    This is a great tool for Fords
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-USB-Modified-ELM327-Elmconfig-Forscan-Ford-Focus-Mondeo-Kuga-S-Max-/181457166623?nav=SEARCH

Elm cable

And download software call forscan for free

Was going to suggest the same.

Forscan is FAR better than an OBDII reader if you're using it on Fords because it gives access to all the ECUs rather than just the emissions related stuff that's mandated within OBDII / EOBD. The enhanced version (still free but need to register and the enhanced features are time limited) will let you delete / program new keys to the alarm & immobiliser without the two originals you usually need.

It even traced a curious quirk on our Mondeo where occasionally the vents would decide to blow warm for a few minutes regardless of what they was set to (even full aircon) to an intermittent bad connection to a heater flap motor.

Also works fine with bluetooth ELM interfaces if your laptop has bluetooth (or a dongle)
    As engine codes are universal will Forscan work for all cars? If not anyone recommend the best free software, I have an EML cable but the software I had was licensed to my old laptop (with zero battery life) and works with windows XP and Vista. Thanks.

Forscan may (or may not) read the basic OBD stuff for other makes but none of the in-depth stuff will work. What car do you want to use it on#? There's similar (or makers original :cool: ) software out there for most makes if you look hard enough.

Alternatively, a cheap bluetooth ELM interface and an android phone with Torque (free from the Play Store) on it gives good basic scantool functionality for under a tenner total (assuming you already have the phone of course!).
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Your entitled to your opinion, even if it's not shared by a lot of motorists equally.
    Not everybody has the money to repair minor issues on old used cars anyway. Common one being eml for egr issues, not applicable to op but some vehicles like the mk4 gold, vectra c and many more it's common to have the light on for. Tons of these and alike sold as having had light on for years and no issues.

I think it's always worth getting it checked out because ODB readers are so cheap!. I have one for £50 that can read any car from around 1998 and also check for airbags warnings etc. The last time the EML was on my car was a problem with the MAF sensor. It took me 5 minutes to give it a good clean and I haven't had a problem with it since, so it isn't always expensive.
  • solchain
    solchain Posts: 41 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2016 at 4:30PM
    Options
    I had an engine management light come on because one of the pipes to the air filter wasn't on correctly - I know it could be one of a hundred things, but a split or loose air pipe is easy to check.

I unplugged the battery overnight to clear the light.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure