Ford Focus Engine management light

Options
I have a Mark 1 1.6 Ford Focus (05 reg). Today, all of a sudden as I was driving along this morning, the orange engine management light came on and stayed on. There didnt appear to be a problem with the engine (no stuttering or an change in sound etc).

Any thoughts? A quick google suggests this could be expensive to resolve, and indeed might even be something that keeps happening. This is the first time this has happened.

Comments

• Stevie_Palimo
    Options
    It needs to be looked at then and if you have a mechanic friend with a computer who can check it then it will be cheapest option otherwise it is a diagnosis at a main dealer of which you will pay for of course, You don't have to proceed of course with them if it is expensive and can either look about for a cheaper option or wait and save up.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wouldn't really worry at the moment if I was you, not since the car still drives fine. Could well just be a sensor or something daft.

EML on an old car though, usually just a characteristic of cheap motoring nowadays isn't it:).
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Wouldn't really worry at the moment if I was you, not since the car still drives fine. Could well just be a sensor or something daft.

EML on an old car though, usually just a characteristic of cheap motoring nowadays isn't it:).

No, an EML permanently on is a characteristic of laziness, or ignorance, and an unwillingness to resolve an obvious issue.
  • peter12345678910
    Options
    Access the hidden menus, read the dtc code

http://mr-fix.info/ford-focus-mk1-hidden-menu/

You can also monitor the sensors in real time with this menu.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • JohnR
    JohnR Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I've followed those instructions, but it came up with "none" under DTC codes? Does this mean its just a sensor fault, or something more serious? Car still driving fine.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JohnR wrote: »
    Thanks, I've followed those instructions, but it came up with "none" under DTC codes? Does this mean its just a sensor fault, or something more serious? Car still driving fine.
    You need to get a code reader plugged into the car to find out what is wrong. They can show more fault codes that the dash instructions.
  • mark1959
    Options
    I've got a focus, 02 reg, and had the same light come on for a few days, then go off. And then come on again a few weeks later, then off.......etc
    This was about a year ago, I get it serviced every year, and so far [I've not used it for the last 3 months or so] it's not come on. This will guarantee it comes on the next time I use it.
    Oh and the handbook says if its flashing, mine wasn't, to go to the dealer immediately.
  • anotheruser
    Options
    I paid about £13 for my OBDII code reader.
    It's been great reading the codes and advsing the garage, as they haven't scanned it with their version, which costs nearly £100.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Get on OBD2 code reader; less than £20; then you'll know why the light is on. Often it can be for something minor like a misfire or cat efficiency below optimum. My daughter's Honda has the check light permenantly on; the code says Cat below efficiency but it passed the MoT fine. The code reader can turn off the light once you know what the fault is. If its insignificant and keeps coming back on , stick some black tape over it.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, an EML permanently on is a characteristic of laziness, or ignorance, and an unwillingness to resolve an obvious issue.

Your entitled to your opinion, even if it's not shared by a lot of motorists equally.
    Not everybody has the money to repair minor issues on old used cars anyway. Common one being eml for egr issues, not applicable to op but some vehicles like the mk4 gold, vectra c and many more it's common to have the light on for. Tons of these and alike sold as having had light on for years and no issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure