One payment of £12,000 for full bonus. Is it possible?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
7 replies 2.2K views
VanillamaxVanillamax Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
Hi, I have just come across the Help to Buy ISA's, so I am just getting my head around it.
My son has been left a lump sum and wants to buy his own place very soon. Would he be able to put £12,000 into the ISA in one go to enable him to get the full £3,000 bonus?

Replies

• Vanillamax wrote: »
    Hi, I have just come across the Help to Buy ISA's, so I am just getting my head around it.
    My son has been left a lump sum and wants to buy his own place very soon. Would he be able to put £12,000 into the ISA in one go to enable him to get the full £3,000 bonus?

No apparently.

I asked about this when I was offered one at the bank. Lady told me I couldn't. It has to be done in installments.

The other problem I had with these accounts is what house can you buy for £15000 as a deposit?
  • Rich2808Rich2808 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Its restricted to £1200 in month 1 and then £200 each month thereafter. A first time buyer couple can of course have one each.

So it will take you at around 5 years to reach £12k and get the full bonus. However it may be useless by then if house prices mean you exceed the £250k limit in your area.

Still worth doing - and you can transfer it to the more generous lifetime isa which becomes available from April. That has a £450k property purchase limit everywhere rather than £250k (450k in London).
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No apparently.

I asked about this when I was offered one at the bank. Lady told me I couldn't. It has to be done in installments.

The other problem I had with these accounts is what house can you buy for £15000 as a deposit?

You don't need to only have the ISA money for the deposit. The maximum purchase price is £250k or £450k depending on location
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • jimjames wrote: »
    You don't need to only have the ISA money for the deposit. The maximum purchase price is £250k or £450k depending on location

Right of course there are other things but it's the main chunk and £15k maybe even 30k isn't gonna cut it in lots of areas. I will probably need around 50k
  • TheBankerTheBanker Forumite
    711 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Right of course there are other things but it's the main chunk and £15k maybe even 30k isn't gonna cut it in lots of areas. I will probably need around 50k

Yes but the point is, you save the £200 in the HTB ISA and the other £xx in a different account. Then you benefit from the 25% bonus on the £200 so when you come to buy you are still being helped with a deposit.

The government I guess cannot afford to subsidise house deposits by more than 25% of £200 per month.

I am in the same position but look at it like this:
    I started the HTB ISA in December, and have paid the maximum contributions so I now have £3,000. If I buy a house I will net a bonus of £750
    I have approx £20k in other savings which will also form part of my deposit.

If I did not have the HTB ISA I would have £23k in other savings but would not get the £750.

In the grand scheme of a house purchase £750 is not a lot but it will pay for some of the furniture or other expenses associated with moving.

The other benefit is the Halifax interest rate of 4% (3.5% from December) that I am earning is actually quite good and to earn a similar rate elsewhere would be difficult as it would involve even more faffing about with current accounts.

As far as I can see the real issue is that if you live in the South East but not London, you will really struggle to find a property under £250k. I don't really want to leave Hertfordshire but here that £250k would perhaps buy a garden shed.
    Make £10 a day challenge: Jan-18: £330 / £400
  • edited 2 October 2016 at 10:34AM
    ChadsmanChadsman Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 2 October 2016 at 10:34AM
    TheBanker wrote: »
    The other benefit is the Halifax interest rate of 4% (3.5% from December)
    Have you had a letter saying the rate is to be cut? I knew it would happen eventually, 3.5% is a lot better than it could have been.

edit: just seen other threads... disappointing but not surprising.
    God save the Queen!
    I'll save Elizabeth Fry, Charles Darwin, Adam Smith, Matthew Boulton and James Watt.
  • TheBankerTheBanker Forumite
    711 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Chadsman wrote: »
    Have you had a letter saying the rate is to be cut? I knew it would happen eventually, 3.5% is a lot better than it could have been.

Yes, I think it came about a week ago. Only surprise is that they've not reduced it by more.
    Make £10 a day challenge: Jan-18: £330 / £400
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals