Options
13»

Comments

• seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It appears that two things happen now.

You don't pay him any more money and find a new, and properly vetted builder to do the extension, if you can still afford it.

You take him to court, but only a solicitor can tell you if you have a good case.

An expensive lesson.
  • seashore22
    Options
    daz100 wrote: »
    No he never said what he was going to do or how much extra it would cost but on his quote it states that he would inform me every step of the way before commencing additional works but that did not happen.

Yes I have quotes and a quote breakdown and even the text message where he reduced the price further to a price I was happy with.

It was a planning issue he said didn't need it then changed his mind so couldn't start right away.

So he was more expensive to start with and reduced his quote? Wow. Seems like he is trying to get the original amount by any means.

The planning issue wasn't to do with building regs was it?
  • daz100
    daz100 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    seashore22 wrote: »
    It appears that two things happen now.

You don't pay him any more money and find a new, and properly vetted builder to do the extension, if you can still afford it.

You take him to court, but only a solicitor can tell you if you have a good case.

An expensive lesson.

I have run it past a solicitor and they have said it is breach of contract so have a good case.
  • seashore22
    Options
    Good luck.
  • robotrobo
    robotrobo Posts: 921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you can buy a house ooop norff for that kind of money, ridiculous.

you sure can, & if you play your cards right .you can also have a ready made family in it as well.:)
  • daz100
    daz100 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Update: I have made numerous attempts to settle out of court and heard nothing so looks like it is going to court.

The receipts still did not appear but a price breakdown has that adds up to the exact amount yet half the work done. Basically how can he possibly given these figures have delivered the work on his original quote. My solicitor thinks we have a good case.
  • Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    Can you show us the price breakdown?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business