Dodgy builder? Help

Options
Had a project start in January new kitchen and small extension to build a utility. Quote accepted and payments in instalments. About 40k

Kitchen complete but then planning needed which delayed things but work was due to be undertaken. Nearly all monies paid for works cut to now and builder had come back saying that there were additional expenses and will need another 20k to complete the utility extension.

So to fit a new kitchen and build a small utility 60k I'm thinking he taking the *******.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• LynnLegend
    Options
    Sounds expensive to me. Twenty grand is a lot of money to be an additional unexpected cost. That is 50% of the original value. Would ask for some justification at the very least.
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    I certainly hope people think that's expensive. I dread to think what my currently-just-a-concept kitchen, utility, shower room, garage extension will be if 60k is the right price for building a utility!
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    whatever the original price was, there'd have to be an awful lot of evidence to justify a 50% increase in costs.

I presume he's given you more details than you've posted?
  • Mr.Generous
    Options
    you can buy a house ooop norff for that kind of money, ridiculous.
  • daz100
    daz100 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Just said the roof was in a worse state than he thought even though the quote included roof alterations and a new fibre glass roof.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think he's ripping you off. The original quote seems excessive (though I don't know where you are or what size the kitchen and utility are). to me.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There aren't many roofs that cost £20k.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • daz100
    daz100 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Asked for receipts, additional costs. I am fobbed off, so going down small claims route
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Who is going down small claims route? For how much?

You said he asked for more money, not that you paid it!
  • Doozergirl
    edited 18 October 2016 at 2:51PM
    Options
    I'm having a single storage buillt to make 2 bedrooms built for 20k and might get new kitchen if i can find another 5k (that inc moving it to another room). but im in south west. So unless your in london 40k too much in my opinion i might be wrong. I sp[ent 1500 on getting planning premisson and building regs. I did get like 5 quote.

Well done, but £20k is not normal either. If two bedrooms are at least about 3x6 metres, you're below any anciently quoted figure of £1k per metre considering that over £5k of that should be in VAT and your professionals fees.

If your builder isn't VAT registered, they must be avoiding it. It doesn't take many £20k extensions to hit the VAT threshold.

It will be interesting to see your results.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure