PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone have a wool duvet?

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another vote for Baavet here; we have three in the house. I've had mine for 3 years, a lightweight one that does me all year round. OH has a heavyweight, being a Cold Mortal at night, and DD1 a medium-weight. All much loved, and considered money very well spent after years of constantly replacing nasty disintegrating polyester ones, which started off reasonably warm then went downhill. DS3 prefers feather & down, which we also own a number of, and DD2 has - everything! 3 duvets on her bed last seen, one of them a 4-season feather one, two thick old wool blankets and a number of fleece blankets. She's not taking any chances with our resident drafts...

I did wonder whether the sheepy smell might disturb OH to start with; DD1 & I are both spinners & the smell of fleece is a delight to us (although I too can't wear wool next to my skin) but we do know that not everyone greets it with glee. However I think he's accustomed to mine & never even noticed it.

Thriftwizard, wasn't it you who bought my new Baavet when the smell wouldn't go? What a pity for me thst I could never get used to the sheep aroma, but glad it went to a good home! It is so well made, I was really sad to let it go but I could not have used it. :(
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, Caterina, that's now OH's much-loved Baavet! The poor man's well-used to the smell of sheep; every water butt has a fleece soaking in it for the "fermented suint" method of cleaning a fleece for hand-spinning!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Caterina
    Options
    LOL!

I so wish that they would do unscented ones! Because otherwise they tick all the boxes, well made, natural, UK business, sustainable etc.

But I am glad that it is being enjoyed! :-)
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    LOL!

I so wish that they would do unscented ones! Because otherwise they tick all the boxes, well made, natural, UK business, sustainable etc.

But I am glad that it is being enjoyed! :-)

You can buy unscented ones - but stripping the lanolin (which is what smells) from the wool also damages the wool fibre and makes it less able to regulate temperature.

If you're interested there's some more info here: https://www.baavet.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=11

I'm not sure how long you had it before giving up on it, but it took about two weeks for my first wool duvet to air and lose the smell.

That's two weeks of airing it properly (out on the line for at least part of most days) rather than having it on the bed or in the box.

A bother, but worth it in the end (In my opinion).
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Just a little update...

I LOVE my Baavet. A fab purchase. The pillows are just the right amount of firm and the duvet feels so luxurious. I'm sold!
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Kevie192 wrote: »
    Just a little update...

I LOVE my Baavet. A fab purchase. The pillows are just the right amount of firm and the duvet feels so luxurious. I'm sold!

I think they are great (another bargain box-er here!) - will be getting 2 extra pillows next (on the list of things to save up for!)
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's too late for me as I have already bought mine but The Wool Room has 25% off everything at the moment.
  • Caterina
    Options
    ariarnia wrote: »
    You can buy unscented ones - but stripping the lanolin (which is what smells) from the wool also damages the wool fibre and makes it less able to regulate temperature.

If you're interested there's some more info here: https://www.baavet.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=11

I'm not sure how long you had it before giving up on it, but it took about two weeks for my first wool duvet to air and lose the smell.

That's two weeks of airing it properly (out on the line for at least part of most days) rather than having it on the bed or in the box.

A bother, but worth it in the end (In my opinion).

I kept it outside in the garden for ages, turning it and airing it for ages, but to no avail unfortunately.

One day my builder (who is from Sardinia and his dad keeps sheep) was in the garden and confirmed that it was not in my imagination and that he also could not sleep with that smell.

But hey, one man's food is another's poison and all that! I still wish it had lost the smell because it was really well made and lovely to the look and feel.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,036 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to have a lovely pillow from Devon Wool (?) which I bought from JL. It was a tri-fold one which was really comfortable. Couldn't bear the smell! The bedroom stunk in the morning after the overnight heat of my head. Even after two months it still was horrible.

Have to add that I live on part of an active farm with cows and sheep. Tugs are kept sometimes just behind my garden wall so I'm used to farmyard smells, just not under my head. I had to get rid of it. My new set from the wool room are odour free and extremely comfortable.
  • Caterina
    edited 25 November 2016 at 7:11PM
    Options
    Gers how interesting, I had two of those, one each for myself and DH, and they did not bother me at all! Go figure. I have just bought two new ones, also pure wool, from Celtic sustainables, on a very good offer (but still very expensive!) and we are loving them. Smell like wool but not like sheep poo.

We still have the Devon duvet ones but after years of use they went a bit flat, probably I could open and fluff them, then repack them, but I use them in the guest room (former DD's room).

I am still looking for a good quality British wool duvet, but daren't get any after the Baavet experience. Might give Devon Duvets ones or even the Celtic S ones a try!

Sorry edited to say it was not from Celtic sustainables (they have the Baavet stuff) it was from Greenfibres.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure