PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone have a wool duvet?

Options
I am fed up of the filling of my microfibre lumping up.

Does this happen in a wool duvet too?

Comments

• room512
    room512 Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have a wool duvet and it's the best thing we ever bought. Keeps us cool in the summer and warm in the winter. OH has night sweats due to medication and since buying this the bed has been dry most nights. In answer to your question, the filling doesn't lump up at all.
  • SouthCoastSkies
    Options
    We've had a wool duvet for a couple of years now & it's great. I still get overheated, but it's far far better than compared to a polyestery type version. we haven't found that the filling clumps at all
  • Loanranger
    Options
    A down duvet, not feather and down, that is sewn in square sections, will not lump up.
  • Feral_Moon
    Options
    Is any particular brand of wool duvet better than another?
  • SouthCoastSkies
    SouthCoastSkies Posts: 41 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2016 at 12:33PM
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Is any particular brand of wool duvet better than another?

Not sure, I've only ever had one ! i bought our one from Baavet & am pleased with it if that helps at all ?

ETA: Baavet also sell "seconds" on their online shop. Some of the time, it's because the filling is uneven, but in our case it was because one of their light weight duvets had been overfilled - which means we got an all year duvet (as we dont like very high tog) at a bargain price !
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Reminds me of the episode of Wartime Farm where Ruth was making a bedcover by making wee squares, filling them will roving and then joining them up patchwork-like. Looked really cosy!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have had one for a couple of years and love it. I would say that it is very heavy (high tog as I am one of the coldest beings on the planet:eek:) It regulates temperature very well, although I have a Primary Immune Deficiency and occasionally get a high temperature when my body is struggling to deal with an infection and then end up sticking arms and legs outside the duvet. I bought mine in the small town where I live, so it was expensive, but there was a price promotion on at the time, I also like that it was mad by a small company in Devon.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    This is probably going to sound really dumb, but what is the benefit of a wool duvet over the old-fashioned wool blankets/sheets combo? I was reading about the wool duvets on the duvet-washing thread and everyone who has them sounds really happy with theirs. I have quite a few beautiful Witney wool blankets picked up from charity shops - dearest was still less than £5 - so if it is just like using blankets then that works out a lot cheaper. I am just not sure what the difference between a wool duvet and using sheets/blankets like people used to have. Sorry if that sounds silly - I am just genuinely curious!
  • Minihauk
    Options
    Larumbelle wrote: »
    This is probably going to sound really dumb, but what is the benefit of a wool duvet over the old-fashioned wool blankets/sheets combo? I was reading about the wool duvets on the duvet-washing thread and everyone who has them sounds really happy with theirs. I have quite a few beautiful Witney wool blankets picked up from charity shops - dearest was still less than £5 - so if it is just like using blankets then that works out a lot cheaper. I am just not sure what the difference between a wool duvet and using sheets/blankets like people used to have. Sorry if that sounds silly - I am just genuinely curious!

I would think the weight would have a bearing. The wool duvets are very light (I have one and it is the best I have ever had), but sheets and blankets can weigh heavily. I remember as a child sleeping with blankets and I could not move all night due to the weight.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Larumbelle wrote: »

If nothing else, using any sort of duvet makes bed making a hell of a lot easier!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure