🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Quote seem good for brakes?

Options
£63 for parts and fitting for rear brake pads? Well the word was shoes they say that's what it takes. 05 focus. Seemed rather cheap and I was wondering if I missed something.

Friend had her back brakes done at the same place last month on a 13 fiesta and it cost almost £200.

My car has started grinding (not squeaking?), anything under £100 or so is fine realistically but otherwise it'll be waiting for payday in 2 weeks.

I assume they wouldn't carry out any extra work until they've quoted me a price.

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    Options
    Punch your reg number in eurocarparts website and see how much the shoes/pads are. Labour should be around £30-£50 a hour.

If the quote was from Halfruds or Kwikfix/Kwikquoteforunnessarywork expect the final bill to be higher, go elsewhere.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,680 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did the friend have exactly the same thing done? Seems unlikely, more probable they had discs and pads not just shoes fitted.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jamiesmum wrote: »
    £63 for parts and fitting for rear brake pads? Well the word was shoes they say that's what it takes. 05 focus. Seemed rather cheap and I was wondering if I missed something.

05 Focus, so it is likely to be drum brakes at the rear, so shoes not pads is the correct term.
    Friend had her back brakes done at the same place last month on a 13 fiesta and it cost almost £200.

Wonder if they changed the discs and pads?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    My car has started grinding (not squeaking?), anything under £100 or so is fine realistically but otherwise it'll be waiting for payday in 2 weeks.
    And not driving the car in the meantime, I hope...?

If it's grinding, then you've run out of friction material, and the brakes are metal-to-metal, and doing zero actual work. The handbrake won't be doing much, either, since it uses the same shoes.

You'll probably find it needs new drums as well, if it's been run to metal.

Shoes are about £20-25 for parts.

If it does need new drums, they are about £40-50 each, plus new rear wheel bearings at £30 each per side.
  • Jamiesmum
    Jamiesmum Posts: 368 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2016 at 1:12PM
    Options
    Not driving it now, I've took a weeks annual leave. I need my car for work, that's why I'm hoping the quote is realistic and they won't up it when I'm there. :(

I'm pretty sure she said it was just her brakes when she told me, but I'll give her a text and double check.

It was fine then someone went into the back of me on the 8th, brakes started grinding the next day but I assumed it was too do with the accident, must just be terrible timing. Only got it back yesterday from the garage, took it for a drive last night and it sounds worse than ever.

Edit to add, quote is from national tyres, it's only a few minutes drive from me.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »

If it's grinding, then you've run out of friction material, and the brakes are metal-to-metal, and doing zero actual work.

Tell that to all those trains using metal-on-metal tread brakes up to the '70s or so!

In fact, the typical coefficient of friction between brake linings and a cast iron drum is between about 0.35 and 0.4.

The coefficient of friction between cast iron and mild steel (the usual material for shoe / pad backings) is also around 0.4 and the brakes are just as effective at stopping you when they go to metal.

The problem with metal - metal braking is simply one of damage to the surfaces and potential "grabbing" thanks to roughness and hot-spots.
  • salubrious
    Options
    A £63 quote from national cowboys will not result in a £63 bill - You've been warned.
  • Joe_Horner
    Options
    Sorry love, got the wheels off and you need new fitting kit, drums and bearings as well, plus your shocks are misting and your handbrake cable's stretched.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Tell that to all those trains using metal-on-metal tread brakes up to the '70s or so!
    You mean the ones that are designed to do that?
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You mean the ones that are designed to do that?

Yes, obviously, but the coefficient of friction is a physical property of the materials which the design doesn't affect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport