Does YouView+ box still work after contract finshes?

Hello,
We have TalkTalk Plus TV account coming up for renewal (18 months, including a YouView+ box)
We have become attached to YouView+- we have lots of films saved, TV etc..
I assume I now own the YouView+ box (when the contract finishes)
If I then sign up to a standard phone, broadband package, will YouView+ still work?

TalkTalk customer services claim that I need to sign up to a further PlusTV account (but that "includes a £299 YouView+ set top box... which I now don't need)

Please help! They were very insistent but it doesn't make sense to me. Can I still use YouView+ with just a phone a broadband package?

Thank you

Replies

• edited 22 September 2016 at 12:43AM
    VisionManVisionMan Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 22 September 2016 at 12:43AM
    Hi,
    The only thing you will lose is TalkTalk TV. And any content you have recorded off it. Everything else will continue to work as normal, including Freeview recordings.

TalkTalk customer services claim that I need to sign up to a further PlusTV account (but that "includes a £299 YouView+ set top box... which I now don't need).

I think you just spoke to the wrong advisor, because thats bull-sugar. New boxes don't cost £299, and if one renews, you don't need one, either. Poor.
  • edited 29 September 2016 at 4:01AM
    bubblegunbubblegun Forumite
    210 Posts
    edited 29 September 2016 at 4:01AM
    VisionMan wrote: »
    Hi,
    The only thing you will lose is TalkTalk TV. And any content you have recorded off it. Everything else will continue to work as normal, including Freeview recordings.

TalkTalk customer services claim that I need to sign up to a further PlusTV account (but that "includes a £299 YouView+ set top box... which I now don't need).

I think you just spoke to the wrong advisor, because thats bull-sugar. New boxes don't cost £299, and if one renews, you don't need one, either. Poor.

talktalk claim you need to pay £299 for the box, to leave a contract early even if you have just a month or two left. Good luck with that one in court!

Sky used to do this with their "free boxes" years ago and stopped claiming it because they always lost. They cannot claim the box is free when you join if it's not if you leave.

Exit fees can only (according to OFCOM) be the amount you would pay to the end of the service minus what the company will save by not providing that service so on talktalk's margins that will be basically zilch no-matter when you leave.

erm, I might be a bit off-topic....
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides