PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant Fees - Infuriating

Options

Comments

• Sambella
    Options
    A consumer body has just recommended that landlords should pay these fees as they can shop around for a better deal and consumers cannot. They are tied to the agents that the landlords choose.

Here's hoping something comes from it.
  • whatajoke2016
    Options
    KingS6 wrote: »
    I wonder how many LA's are failing to uphold their obligations under the new rules of the Consumer Rights Act (May 2015).

They have to provide a list of their fees for both landlords and tenants in their branches, literature and websites. However I am unsure whether they have to provide a further breakdown of these fees.

I reported my own LA to Trading Standards for failing to do this. Apparently it's commonplace.

I just reported one yesterday and have just seen James Chiltern are not doing the same either in a clear listing of what they charge and in customer view in the agency.
  • whatajoke2016
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    No one is forced to use a letting agent though

A tenant is to some extent unless the tenant speaks to the landlord directly and asks them to use a different agent, however in my case the landlord despite the fees being horrible, has asked to use that one as they did a good job last time

(LET ONLY)... what can one do?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    KingS6 wrote: »
    I wonder how many LA's are failing to uphold their obligations under the new rules of the Consumer Rights Act (May 2015).

They have to provide a list of their fees for both landlords and tenants in their branches, literature and websites. However I am unsure whether they have to provide a further breakdown of these fees.

I reported my own LA to Trading Standards for failing to do this. Apparently it's commonplace.

No they just need to make the fees clear (inclusive of VAT) there is no requirement to break this down
  • Guest101
    Options
    Sambella wrote: »
    A consumer body has just recommended that landlords should pay these fees as they can shop around for a better deal and consumers cannot. They are tied to the agents that the landlords choose.

Here's hoping something comes from it.

That's rubbish, of course they can shop around.
  • Guest101
    Options
    A tenant is to some extent unless the tenant speaks to the landlord directly and asks them to use a different agent, however in my case the landlord despite the fees being horrible, has asked to use that one as they did a good job last time

(LET ONLY)... what can one do?

You are free to look elsewhere, either at a totally independent listing by a landlord, or shop around for cheaper agencies.

You are choosing to use an agent because you want what they are offering, just not happy with the price.

I'm not even defending letting agents on this, some are totally incompetent. But I cant understand this 'its not fair' attitude, normally reserved for children
  • itchyfeet123
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    You are free to look elsewhere, either at a totally independent listing by a landlord, or shop around for cheaper agencies.

Yes and no. Sure, there are 6 agents on my nearest high street for me to choose from or I could ask everyone I know if they happen to know anyone looking to rent out a suitable property. But the local rental market being what it is, all the agents charge similarly exorbitant fees and the majority of landlords go through agents. I've lived places where the competition was for tenants rather than properties, and the agents offered 50% off the first month's rent, or paid existing tenants finders fess in the hundreds.

As to unfair, well, I guess the market is what it is. I certainly find most of the fees charged by my current letting agent outrageous. My landlord is paying them to perform a service for him. I'm paying them because they know that in the current market tenants will pay.
  • Guest101
    Options
    Yes and no. Sure, there are 6 agents on my nearest high street for me to choose from or I could ask everyone I know if they happen to know anyone looking to rent out a suitable property. - That's pretty much it. You are saving yourself from searching by going to a central location. But the local rental market being what it is, all the agents charge similarly exorbitant fees and the majority of landlords go through agents. - that's just dictated by a free market economy though. If people didn't pay the fees and didn't use agents, they would either have to lower fees, or close down. Equally whilst they might all charge roughly the same fees, if one dropped down their prices others would follow. Conversely if one had no tenants fees at all and pass it all to the LL, they'd lose all their clients. I've lived places where the competition was for tenants rather than properties, and the agents offered 50% off the first month's rent, or paid existing tenants finders fess in the hundreds. - Of course local economies dictate the trend.

As to unfair, well, I guess the market is what it is. I certainly find most of the fees charged by my current letting agent outrageous. My landlord is paying them to perform a service for him. I'm paying them because they know that in the current market tenants will pay.

What are you paying for exactly?

Because now that you're in. You don't need to pay anything else.
  • squeeks
    squeeks Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    If you live in an area that is dominated by a handful of landlords going through particular agents - you don't get a lot of choice.

Conversely if you are looking for a particular area close to say a school. They may not come up very often and you'll be stuck with whatever agent the landlord decided to go for. We were looking for 18 months last time we did a rental....

Think of it more like motor way service stations... yes you can choose not to stop but there isn't anything else for the next 50 odd miles....
  • Guest101
    Options
    squeeks wrote: »
    If you live in an area that is dominated by a handful of landlords going through particular agents - you don't get a lot of choice.

Conversely if you are looking for a particular area close to say a school. They may not come up very often and you'll be stuck with whatever agent the landlord decided to go for. We were looking for 18 months last time we did a rental....

Think of it more like motor way service stations... yes you can choose not to stop but there isn't anything else for the next 50 odd miles....

None of that is inherently 'unfair'.

You've chosen to look in this area
    Or near a school, or whatever. There are alternatives, but you don't want those.

You want this specific area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport