Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Options
    Hi there:hello:

On Wednesday I had a bit of a spend-up on my toiletries/make up for the month. The whole lot came to £44.05, but I saved £10.85 on offers so it would have been more. However, it blew my new YNAB monthly budget of £25 :( and I still have to get my mouthwash as Boots didn’t have the type I use. Redeeming feature was that I didn’t buy my normal expensive Clinique face powder, but in the true MSE spirit decided to drop a brand size and bought Bourjois instead which cost £8.99. This brand had very good reviews on the web – it was put up on par with Clinique! Massa1982 on the turtles NSD thread has suggested I look at the beautyholicsanonymous website where they have a list of related cosmetic companies. I did the brand drop once before and have tended to slip back in my old ways so worth another try. The cheaper pinky-nude Autograph lipstick from M&S that I bought recently for daywear instead of my usual MAC is just as good so I am going to keep with this and hope they don’t discontinue it! Its packaging is very nice as well – looks like the Bobbie Brown brand! I can’t say the same about the Bourjois face powder – I am afraid package wise it looks very cheap, but looks aren’t everything! (grin)

In the evening I did the Clean Up Project – Day 4 – the cleaning task was the “Pantry”. Took me a little while longer than the spice shelf, but I don’t have masses of cupboards so things are kept to a minimum with dry foods. No foods were out of date and I gave the shelves/jars a good wipe. The other task was organizing the “Food Storage Container Cupboard” Again I don’t have a whole cupboard for these and I don’t have that many tbh. They live in half a shelf in a cupboard under the worktop! Just quickly took them out and wiped shelf and put them back tidily. The maintenance task to accompany the daily cleaning was “The Laundry Room” The book is American so I think “Utility Room” for us Brits. I don’t have a utility room just the washer/dryer in the kitchen so all I had to do here was wipe down front of machine! Simples!

So yesterday was the “it all went pear-shaped day!” I went on my annual trip to the Christmas Fair with some friends and the budget I set went totally haywire! I bought some beautiful costume jewellery for myself. There is a particular costume jewellery stall there every year which is wonderful. They only have a trade website, but they sell their jewellery at the show at their trade prices. I bought the most beautiful crystal bangle which was so different to what I have seen anywhere else (and which I will be sporting on New Year’s Eve!), some lovely Christmas deccies and lights, Five Dollar Shake Christmas cards (where I got at a bit of a discount), a carved white seahorse for the bathroom (who was staring at me this morning – I forgot I had put it in the bathroom when I got home last night and he gave me a start!), some pressies for sis and DD’s OH, pyjama case for my little nephew, cheeses and lovely white whisky liqueur! We also had muffins and coffees when we arrived, yummy sausages in rolls from the tasty sausage stall, and ended the day up at the Champagne Bar! So totally trashed all the rules for this month’s NSD thread! But its one of the highlights of my year and I enjoy it so! Still the budget has taken a real bashing. I still have carpet to be cleaned and I think I will just about manage this. My friend hasn't contacted me yet about her retirement dinner. I rather hope she leaves it till next month or at least till I get paid on 25th and start my new month. :D However looking back to my debt days I wouldn't have even be thinking of budgeting less for the rest of the month after my spend-up so things have sunk in!

In addition, I am afraid the Cleaning Project was postponed when I got in last night as a bit squiffy!

BUT today I have been a good SSG – no spends at all and a severe diet day on the 5:2 diet! Cleaning has resumed tonight! Cleaned microwave as soon as I got in tonight – also should have cleaned oven but I’m leaving that till tomorrow. The organizing was the glasses cupboard which didn’t take long. Maintenance consisted of a bit extra in the living room – dusting, polishing and vacuum/clean floor – paying attention to base of walls!

Just off now to have my soup. Fireworks going off everywhere outside even though its raining!
    xxx
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Fairs and speciality markets are my downfall. They have such pretty things.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,304 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Good idea not to clean under the influence of alcohol SSG :) You made me laugh about the seahorse making you jump :) Sounds like a lovely day at the Christmas fair.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi inod and SA :wave:

Christmas Fair is great! Once I have been I feel like the proper countdown to Christmas has started! Even though it is like World War III outside at the moment with all the fireworks!

Had a NSD today. Stayed in and hit the flat with Cleaning Project. The ante was really upped today. Cleaned the oven which took a while. The kitchen also got a hammering. Dusting, cleaning top of cabinets, inside of window, wiped all the canisters and bits on kitchen tops, countertops, fronts of cabinets, kitchen door and switches. Also mopped floor. Organising task was the "Siverware Drawer" or in my case the cutlery drawer as I haven't got any silver - it's all stainless steel. Must be another Americanism! Maintenance was laundry but that's one of my weekend jobs anyway and I don't have tons!

Phew! No wonder she says you can carry the tasks over, but I'm determined to get it all done in time!

Sis and OH came over and brought my new little nephew to meet me. He's so cute and sweet and very bright. Really looking forward to spending Christmas with him!

Sis also gave me £50 she owed me from ages ago which we had forgotten about. She's been a bit preoccupied lately so I'll forgive her. Comes in especially handy after Thursday's spree!:D
    🌟
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Nice to see your positive posts. I have followed your example and spent £3.03 on the Katie Berry book....will let you know how I get on!

Have a good week

Brizzle x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well done you brizzle! :T. I must admit it's probably a bit easier for me to attempt it in one month as there's just me in my small flat and as I've mentioned before I'm a bit on the minimalist side so I can keep up to date fairly easily. If you have a big house with OH, kids, pets and lots of clutter it may take a bit longer - especially if you have a full time job as well! It will probably get a bit harder for me once she orders me to hit the dreaded clothes!

Anyway today's cleaning project was - Cleaning - washing bathroom walls - fairly easy as it's all tiled. Organising was under the bathroom sink! I do have a built in cupboard under there but the author assumes beauty bits are kept there but in my cupboard I have cleaning products, loo rolls, water filters, home spray, candles etc!
    The maintenance task was extra emphasis on bedroom. Change sheets ( which I do on a Sunday anyway) , dusting, vacuum curtains with crevice attachment on vacuum and vacuum floor as well with "special attention to base of walls" (Sieg Heil!)

I also popped down shops - bumped into my friend and had a coffee, bought a couple of Christmas bits in Factory Shop, some food bits for next week and new baby card.

Made chicken casserole in crockpot when I got in and am now waiting for DD who is staying with me tonight.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening.
    🌟
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    HI there

Didn’t post last night as had hectic work day and went to bed early.

Positives- both yesterday and today are NSDs- took packed lunch and had my work porridge for breakfast.

Also received £18.13 monthly cash back and interest from Santander 123 account and transferred this across to emergency fund category. And got home tonight and found M&S had posted my periodic credit card loyalty vouchers to me - £12!

As I went to bed early I didn’t get round to the cleaning project last night so am a day behind with this and will have to catch up at weekend.

So - tonight we were still in the bathroom:

Cleaning – this was the shower head – didn’t need cleaning or descaling so left this. Soap scum on soap holders and shower wall – all clean here so no need to bother!

Organising – was the bathroom cabinet containing medicines and beauty products – I actually keep my medicines in a top shelf in one of the kitchen cupboards so quickly emptied this, wiped down and checked. Threw out a couple of bottles and boxes of tablets as these had expired. Also cleared out the bathroom cabinet where I keep most of my non-cosmetic beauty products - DD keeps some stuff here as well for when she stays. Wiped this down – threw some things away that have been there what seems like forever and I won’t use – still have quite few different bits to use up here so won’t have to duplicate for a while.

Extra Maintenance on the Daily Cleaning - was dusting and cleaning the Laundry Room – I haven't got one so was able to leave this!

Other positive thing that I forgot to mention – lost another 4lb at the weekend – 5:2 is having its effect!
    🌟
  • Mysteek
    Mysteek Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Great news both on the cashback and the weight loss!:T I have been really bad lately and took the plunge and got weighed on Saturday. I've put half a stone on :( so been trying hard this week and have lost 3 1/3 lbs which is a very nice surprise. We will have to keep each other company in our weight loss campaign :)
    MFIT #73 - Pay all mortgage off in 3 years[STRIKE] £46,400[/STRIKE]£34,295 PAID £12,105
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,304 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    All sounding good SSG :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Hi Mysteek and SA:hello:

Well done too on your weight loss Mysteek. :j. Was the initial weight increase due to celebrating the new arrival?:D

Today was a NSD and 5:2 diet day so going well there. Was really busy in work so didn't have time to think about food (only apple for lunch!). Had soup and ryvita for dinner. Quite looking forward to my cheese and marmite roll tomorrow for lunch. Am going to try for NSDs up till Saturday when I'm having carpet cleaned. Won't need to top up on groceries till then either.

Today was the end of my second week for this month. Had 26p left in weekly grocery budget and £53 left in weekly spends to put aside for emergency fund at end of month!:j

Tonight's SSG Xmas Cleaning Project:

Cleaning - Wash shower curtain - don't have one - have a shower door which I clean down every day after use anyway.

Organising - Linen Closet and Shelves - all ok here - I don't have masses or towels and bedding - nothing to throw away and all tidy.

Maintenance Task- Extra Emphasis on Living Room - vacuum curtains ( don't have them - have blinds so dusted them), dust, polish, wipe down door and light switches, vacuum sofa, chairs and under these, plus base of walls and floor.

So really only had to do the third task!
    🌟
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business