Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well done you! That's a proper result!

(I think our posts have crossed!):)
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Insurance is one of my weekend jobs. Current insurer sent thru proposal, went to great lengths to specify two changes and, when I read thru, I noticed that they had omitted all high value items. I believe that it is miselling. I just feel sorry for whoever answers my call on Saturday.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Mysteek
    Mysteek Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Amazing results on the insurance Seasidegal58 and Sun Addict!
    MFIT #73 - Pay all mortgage off in 3 years[STRIKE] £46,400[/STRIKE]£34,295 PAID £12,105
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh dear INOD :( Give 'em hell!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks Mysteek! Wow inod - any chance I can listen in on Saturday "for quality and training purposes"! Good on you for reading through the proposal properly!

Totally overslept today and mad rush to get out - so mad that I forgot mt packed lunch. :mad: so ruined my NSD as bought Pret soup! Had more soup with bread tonight with the toms and fruit I had forgotten this morning. I do hope that all this soup will have a lightening effect on the scales when I weigh myself at the weekend. :D

So lunchtime I went on web again for (budgeted) annual travel insurance - I have pre-existing medical conditions and at my age it's never going to be dirt cheap. I check on the comparison site and then with my existing provider who wasn't on the site. This still came off a couple of pounds cheaper and I managed to get 16% back with quidco so only actually worked £2 pounds dearer than last year! :j

The other positive was that I take out an annual subscription to an industry magazine for my boss. I buy it online with my Cashback card and then claim it back from firm. So earned £ 2.80 for nothing! :)

Must remember the sandwich tomorrow. Feel lots better - just seem to have grotty cough left!
    🌟
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Glad to read you feel better. I always make a huge batch of soup on a Sunday for work lunches, been doing this since I joined WW 14 years ago. Recently bought a Morphy Richards soup maker which is brilliant.
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks SA. This week I've been quite enjoying my soup meals even though feeling grotty. My default packed lunch is always sandwiches but I might start giving the soups a go now and again.

I did take my sandwich into work yesterday so that ended up a NSD. :j

Today though I met a friend for brunch - £11.85. I also received my newspaper vouchers to start on Monday.

The other thing I did was ring up Santander and opened a Regular Esaver account for current account holders. This gives you 3% interest for a year and you can put up to £200 per month from your current account and withdraw it at any time. I've moved this across today. I've totally missed this savings account in the past! Only saw it on Wednesday via the weekly MSE email!
    🌟
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    I did one of those with the Halifax, you have to commit to save a regular amount each month for a year to get the higher interest. At least it makes me save which is good.
  • Mysteek
    Mysteek Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 18 October 2016 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Ah yes HSBC do one of these, 5% for Advance account holders, but its only for a year and maximum you can save is £3,000 per year or £250 per month. I have thought of doing one but didn't know if I would want to commit that amount of money just yet until I had my other ducks in a row
    MFIT #73 - Pay all mortgage off in 3 years[STRIKE] £46,400[/STRIKE]£34,295 PAID £12,105
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks Mysteek and SA - it was easy interest for one phone call and it all adds to the savings pot! :D

Have been offline on my diary for a couple of days as felt quite wiped out and been turning into bed early. The only positive thing about feeling poorly is that I lost 8lbs when I got on the scales on Sunday due to all that soup! I know it's mainly a water loss but it's given me a psychological boost!

Sunday was a NSD - and as it was the end of the week I swiped over what was left to holiday debit which means there is only a £58.23 shortfall there now! :j.

Yesterday was a bit more spendy. More cough syrup and also £17.50 to my friend for a Christmas Fair ticket next month which we go to every year.

Coming up to one of our really busy times in work now so anticipating some late work nights. Still today ended up a NSD!
    🌟
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business