We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Problem with credit card application

Just tried to apply for a new credit card and have been refused which is bizarre as my credit rating is excellent and have never been refused credit of any sort. The only reason I can think is that all applications have been to my old address and, due to my own forgetfulness, I never really updated my addresses. I then had to update them to my flat (lived in for 3.5 years) and, more recently, my new house. However, this is the first time I have applied for any sort of credit at the new address.

Do you think this could be the cause? Who can I speak to to discuss this? American Express told me that they cannot give the reason over the phone but a letter has been sent.

Comments

• That sounds like a good cause for decline. As you've found out, your credit doesn't mean anything when it comes to getting credit.

Check all three of your files to see what is on them.
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker First Post
    That sounds like a good cause for decline. As you've found out, your credit doesn't mean anything when it comes to getting credit.

Check all three of your files to see what is on them.

I would have thought it'd be the person, not the address, that it is based on. I don't see how moving house suddenly makes you a credit risk.

Check all three files? What files?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Check all three files? What files?

zx81 is talking about you checking all three of the main UK credit reference agencies – Experian, Equifax and Call Credit.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • adonis10
    edited 16 September 2016 at 4:42PM
    zx81 is talking about you checking all three of the main UK credit reference agencies – Experian, Equifax and Call Credit.

James
    @natdebtline

And would I have to pay these companies to tell me what I already know? And what noddle tells me for free.
  • How do you know what is on your files if you haven't checked them?
  • adonis10
    How do you know what is on your files if you haven't checked them?

I know what I've applied for, and if I have been defrauded I assume it would show on my noddle
    Report.

What will experian etc show that noddle doesn't?
  • adonis10 wrote: »
    And would I have to pay these companies to tell me what I already know? And what noddle tells me for free.

you don't

Clearscore = Equifax - free
    Noddle = call credit - free

and coming soon Experian on moneysaving expert

noodle only tells you one agency
    I know what I've applied for, and if I have been defrauded I assume it would show on my noddle
    Report.

What will experian etc show that noddle doesn't?

not all credit providers report to or refer to all agencys,
  • How much credit do you have available now?

how much of it is used?

are you on the electoral roll at your new address, just some things that can affect decisions
    Report.

Then let's keep our fingers crossed that no incorrect data has been put onto your reports, and that exactly the same lenders report exactly the same things to all three files.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.