Water Meter And United Utilities

Hi all
[FONT=&quot]I have just moved house and have found that the house used to be commercial in some way along with the (Now derelict) council buildings around it.
I have received a letter stating a water meter is to be fitted to my property (Currently it does not have one). On phoning they state it 'should' already have one fitted. I said no but they're quite insistent that because it should have one, then it will have one.
There doesn't appear to be any definitive black and white information I can follow about this which is why I am asking for any advice anyone may have.
Personally I feel if it does not have one then they shouldn't fit one if I request they don't? I also get the impression that they're being pressed 'from above' to get more water meters fitted in general.
Also, for info, I can't get broadband for at least a month and the signal to my phone is terrible so please don't be put out if my responses are quite spread out.
Cheers everyone [/FONT] :T
:idea:

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    edited 12 September 2016 at 6:18PM
    Under The Water Privatisation Act, since April 1990 water companies have had the power to insist on a meter being fitted on all properties where there has been a change of occupant.

Some companies didn't enforce this regulation, others did. However you are quite correct that companies are being 'pressed' to fit meters. As it was the very clear intent of Water privatisation that eventually all properties would be metered and pay for the water they used(a novel concept!)

It was mandatory for all properties built post April 1990 to have a meter fitted and there is no justification for people to remain on largely meaningless Rateable Value(RV) charges.

You can scour the Ofwat website or Consumer council for water website to find the policy of the various companies e.g.

http://ccwater.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/313

South East Water - Metering on change of occupant

Published 10/07/2009 02.51 PM | Updated 11/02/2015 11.50 AM

The water company will install a water meter when a home is sold or tennent(sic) moves out.
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Under The Water Privatisation Act, since April 1990 water companies have had the power to insist on a meter being fitted on all properties where there has been a change of occupant.

Some companies didn't enforce this regulation, others did. However you are quite correct that companies are being 'pressed' to fit meters. As it was the very clear intent of Water privatisation that eventually all properties would be metered and pay for the water they used(a novel concept!)

It was mandatory for all properties built post April 1990 to have a meter fitted and there is no justification for people to remain on largely meaningless Rateable Value(RV) charges.

You can scour the Ofwat website or Consumer council for water website to find the policy of the various companies e.g.

http://ccwater.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/313

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I now have a very good idea of where I stand
    :idea:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport