Grandparents rights

Options
Hi please could you advise me on my rights regarding access to my granddaughter? My daughter doesn't want me in her life as our relationship has broken down due to disagreements in the family. I still want to see my granddaughter however she is making it very difficult and when I contact her she is argumentative and it's not worth the grief. I have also recently lost my parents so I am not strong enough to deal with her nastiness. How can I get to see my granddaughter with whom I had a lovely relationship with?

Comments

• lrb_2
    lrb_2 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya, I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I hope it improves.

I have a relative who went through something similar and eventually working with lawyers and going through family court they managed to get visiting rights to see their grandson. Unfortunately the dad brainwashed the child and as he became older, the child cut off all contact with them.
    This was in Spain though, but I would think grandparents would have similar rights here.

I think the best option is to try to sort out things with your daughter. As painful as it might be, it would probably be easier than going the legal route.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, but grandparents do not have any legal rights to enforce contact and it is not a "given" that legal action will result in a contact order. Legal action is also unlikely to improve family relations.

The only realistic way that you are going to see your granddaughter is to build bridges with your daughter.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't believe there are any grandparent rights in this country. I think Age Concern or some action group has lots of information on this and is battling for change. However I think I heard something like you have to go to court to even apply for permission to go to court for visitation.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • indsty
    indsty Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    It's difficult. The relationship you really need to mend first is the one with your daughter. This will probably mean "biting your tongue" a lot and maybe apologising for things that aren't your fault etc etc. Otherwise any visiting with your GD will be under tremendous strain and not good for her or you or her mother. Only you know the whole situation but a "softly softly" and gentle approach might be the best way.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Any court will consider only what is in the best interests of the child .......if you and the mother are constantly falling out then contact is unlikely to be considered good for the child.

You have zero statutory rights to see your grandchild. Who a child sees and doesn't see is entirely the parent or legal guardian's decision.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How old the grand daughter? Frankly it shouldn't be about your rights or that of your daughter but the child. If she misses you and it is affecting her emotionally or psychologically, then she should have a right to see you again. However, not sure how this would be enforced. You would hope that if it is the case, her mother could find it in herself to put her own personal issues aside and allow her daughter to see you, unless she has good reason to think that this will have a detrimental effect on her daughter.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Unfortunately legally there is nothing you can do, grandparents don't have rights (unless the law has changed since I checked around 4 years ago).

Have you tried mediation (at your cost). Maybe write to your daughter, its easier to put things in a letter without confrontation. As Fbabys post it is about what best for your granddaughter, her mother will know that and hopefully agree to meet you at mediation where you can try to resolve your difficulties for the benefit of the child.

Someone else asked how old your granddaughter is? Is she nearing an age where she will be able to visit your herself without her mother having to bring her?
  • emmatthews
    Options
    Sadly, unless you are able to repair your relationship with your daughter then I doubt you will be able to have a successful relationship with your grand daughter.

The reality is that unless she is too young to realise what has happened, then she will probably remain loyal to her Mum. My daughter is very close to her grandparents, but I do not believe she would choose to spend time with them if she knew that they had really upset me.

I am not a grandparent so can only imagine how painful the current situation must be for you. Do anything & everything you can to make up with your daughter would be my advice.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,006 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I echo all replies above.
    Build bridges with your Daughter, that is the way to go.
  • martinbuckley
    Options
    Patch up your differences with your daughter.

If you cant do that, change your will so that your grandchildren are the beneficeries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure