MSE News: Apple announces iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus – here's what they'll cost

Former_MSE_Nick
Former_MSE_Nick Posts: 463 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 7 September 2016 at 9:09PM in Mobiles
Apple has tonight revealed its new iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, which go on sale in the UK on September 16, with new features such as water and dust resistance and beefed up dual rear cameras. You'll be able to pre-order them from 9 September...
Read the full story:
'Apple announces iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus – here's what they'll cost'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 7 September 2016 at 9:15PM
    I hope the new included earphones don't leak as badly as the current provided earphones... (I assume they will still provide a basic pair of earphones when you purchase the product, or are they ditching that to make a bit more money from the customers?)

And how much will Apple be charging for an offical Lighting -> 3.5mm socket adapter for those who have current wired ear/head phones and don't want to waste battery life by using bluetooth or wireless.

Nice money maker from Apple through, charging a license fee for other manufacturers to use the socket to provide ear/head phones ;)
  • Kite2010 wrote: »
    I assume they will still provide a basic pair of earphones when you purchase the product, or are they ditching that to make a bit more money from the customers?
    The new Lightning connected earphones are included.
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    And how much will Apple be charging for an offical Lighting -> 3.5mm socket adapter for those who have current wired ear/head phones and don't want to waste battery life by using bluetooth or wireless.
    The adaptor is also included with every iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus. No separate purchase necessary.
  • AAB
    AAB Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why is the prices in uk gone up despite Apple announcing that it will be available at the same price as previous model?

Base model iPhone 7 is showing at £599 (was £539 previously). The price is USA for iPhone 7 is $649 (approx £487).

Is it a case of ripoff Britain yet again??
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well, I've got some decent quality earphones, so I won't be buying any wireless ones.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    AAB wrote: »
    Why is the prices in uk gone up despite Apple announcing that it will be available at the same price as previous model?

Base model iPhone 7 is showing at £599 (was £539 previously). The price is USA for iPhone 7 is $649 (approx £487).

Well the pound is now quite a bit weaker against the dollar compared with last year. The previous base model was 16GB, the iPhone 7 is 32GB.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Should round it up to a £1k, they'll pay it regardless...
  • AAB
    AAB Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lee111s wrote: »
    Well the pound is now quite a bit weaker against the dollar compared with last year. The previous base model was 16GB, the iPhone 7 is 32GB.

The comparison that I've done $649 to £487 is based on today's exchange rate, so I don't think it's to do with weak pound.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Despite the lightening earphones being included, I'm not impressed in the slightest by the removal of the headphone jack. The lightening connector is the weakest part of the phone so it just seems like another money spinner when earphones break as often as the charging cable.

Can't see why anyone would want to fork out for the AirPods. Earphones fall out so who would want to risk losing/breaking one at that kind of price?

The only part that I liked was the waterproof factor. When they said wireless I was expecting wireless charging!
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The comparison that I've done $649 to £487 is based on today's exchange rate, so I don't think it's to do with weak pound.

Don't like it? Don't buy it ;)
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    Despite the lightening earphones being included, I'm not impressed in the slightest by the removal of the headphone jack. The lightening connector is the weakest part of the phone so it just seems like another money spinner when earphones break as often as the charging cable.

Can't see why anyone would want to fork out for the AirPods. Earphones fall out so who would want to risk losing/breaking one at that kind of price?

The only part that I liked was the waterproof factor. When they said wireless I was expecting wireless charging!
    I was out today trying to find a more robust lightning cable, as I'm sick of them breaking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure