PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

meals for one

Options
jackel
jackel Posts: 201 Forumite
edited 3 September 2016 at 7:58AM in Old style MoneySaving
since losing my husband early this year I am on my own Are there any threads for single meal recipes and meal plans/shopping ? Please help.

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are lots of good recipes for one here.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/books/delias-one-is-fun
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I was cooking for one, I'd often actually cook bigger portions and freeze the excess. So I'd cook a couple of kg of mince into something like a bolognese, and freeze in single portions. Sometimes served with spaghetti or pasta, sometimes with rice, sometimes on a jacket potato, sometimes made into a lasagne.

A large shepherds/cottage pie can be sliced and frozen into single portions. Instead of cooking one chicken breast, put several in the oven and freeze, whole or shredded, and you then have cooked chicken for things like a chicken salad, or to add to a stir fry, etc.

As well as the meat portion, I would freeze portions of 'sides' too. So I would peel and mash the whole bag of potatoes, and freeze portions of mash (my tip would be to use less milk than usual - it does go a bit runnier when microwaving).

Rice is another one that freezes well - it's very important that you cool and freeze the rice quite quickly, as it's not actually the reheating of rice that can cause food poisoning but the rice sitting around at room temperature, letting the nasty toxins multiply. I would cook the rice, spread onto baking trays to let it cool, and then freeze in microwavable tubs. Reheat until piping hot. I'd do portions of plain rice, egg fried rice, spicy/spanish rice.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Years ago Shirley Goode produced a book "Cooking for one" which has lots of shopping and cooking tips and really good recipes. On amazon it is a penny plus postage.

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my DH over a year ago and have gone from cooking for six to cooking for one. Sometimes I just have something like an omelette or home made soup, other times I roast a chicken and let it cool to turn it into chicken salad, chicken soup, chicken and mushroom stir fry etc or just chicken and low fat chips.

Sometimes I will try a new recipe and do a big cook then freeze some of the portions. This means I have something when I feel tired or something to give to DDs to take home for a busy day.

I just try to go with the flow. I use small cartons of milk as unless family come round I can't finish them in date. I buy a small sliced wholemeal loaf and freeze half and am very pleased if I find yellow sticker bargains to put in my freezer for later use.

Hugs
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I second krlyr's suggestion of cooking more than a single portion and freezing.

I'm sorry for your loss too.

You might be interested in this thread - Self help thread. I am a widow. Coping, getting on with it
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5185428&page=88
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm another that's on his own but hardly ever cook single portions. Although i don't agree about the rice 'cos i think it doesn't take that long and while you're getting the rest of your meal out the rice can be cooked. That said if i'm doing a stirfry or rice salad where i want cold rice i'll do it of a morning and leave in the fridge all day.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Although i don't agree about the rice 'cos i think it doesn't take that long and while you're getting the rest of your meal out the rice can be cooked. .

Out of interest how much do you cook, quantities etc as if I do rice I always seem to do too much
    i.e. How much rice, to ratio of water.I was once pretty ill with rice so I am always a bit leery of freezing cooked rice;) those boil in the bag things are too much just for one meal and if I use one I end up binning the rest, so often don't bother to cook rice at all and have chilli/ curry etc on a Jacket spud
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Much as has been said, but I do not deliberately cook more for a later day, but whole chicken for instance does get used over a few days or bits of it frozen

Don't tell the dated food police on here but I had some own frozen & cooked chicken from Jan 2014 that I resurrected for a salad dinner last week

Yellow stickers I go for, sometimes just grabbing YS "meal for one" items, curry, sausages & mash kind of stuff, saves thinking what to cook and just zapping it

Perhaps not wise choice for everyday but solves one meal time
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Out of interest how much do you cook, quantities etc as if I do rice I always seem to do too much

When i first left home and got my own house, i'd never done anything. So i went to any night-school class i could do learn to learn Diy around the house and cooking.
    One class was Chinese cooking with this little old Chinese man. When he was showing us how to do rice and we asked ... 'how much'. He didn't weigh anything, just held out his hand and said .... 'this much'
    So i'll do a handful, same with water. If it looks right, it will do.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • juliesname
    Options
    About half my dinners are batch-cook frozen - cottage pie, chilli, cubed meats in tomatoey sauces, chopped roasted meats etc and the other half are things that come in single portions eg frozen/tinned fish, egg/cheese combinations. Bacon and sausages get frozen in meal-sized portions. Fresh veg carrots, broccoli, spuds can be bought in smaller amounts than say a cabbage. Frozen veg, chips. Pasta and rice get cooked while the meat part is defrosting in the microwave and being reheated.

I find it helps to be able to think 'what do I fancy?' and see a choice in the freezer. I will survive as long as the freezer does!
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    i.e. How much rice, to ratio of water.I was once pretty ill with rice so I am always a bit leery of freezing cooked rice;) those boil in the bag things are too much just for one meal and if I use one I end up binning the rest, so often don't bother to cook rice at all and have chilli/ curry etc on a Jacket spud

I follow this method for rice (using the knuckle method for adding water) every time now and it's always nice and fluffy (unless I forget I'm cooking brown rice and don't allow longer...oops!).
    http://chinesefood.about.com/od/resourceschinesecooking/tp/Steaming-Rice-How-To-Steam-Rice-On-The-Stovetop.htm

I forgot to say in my first post, often if I'm just cooking plain rice, I'll often put it in a sieve and run cold water over it to cool it down straight away - let drain dry and then straight into takeaway tubs. It really is just the letting it sit in the warm that causes issues with rice, the NHS recommend to cool within an hour of cooking.
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure