PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

meals for one

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    ETA
    I still don't see how eating the remains of a yogurt as a snack or putting cream in your coffee can be described as wasting food though.
    Me too.

I uusally buy Greek yoghurt and if there's any left over after I've made the dish that I bought it for, I'll have it for breakfast or lunch with chopped walnuts and honey. Yummy! And definitely not a waste. :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    A lady after my own heart. ;)

I'm not sure if my opened yogurt has ever got to the 'fizzing' stage but I find it can it can get a bit watery on top so I just drain it off before using it.

I am MSE, after all. :D

Err, it's bloke actually Polly :D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Err, it's bloke actually Polly :D
    Whoops! :o

You wrote with such common sense that I thought you must be a woman. :D
  • Mohawk_3
    Mohawk_3 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    I've just checked mine too.

It says 'keep in the fridge after opening & use within a month'.

Never noticed that before and I've just kept my opened one in the cupboard, I've done that for years and I'm still here so I'm not going to change now. :)

I noticed that a couple of years ago, but use mine long after a month. If I know it's been open a while, I squeeze a bit out and taste it before putting it in my dinner, and it's been fine.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Whoops! :o

You wrote with such common sense that I thought you must be a woman. :D

Does that remark count as a Hate Crime in the times we now live in? :D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • jackel
    jackel Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Monogran. I have to reply to you in public because I don't know how to do private messages. Thankyou for your lovely message.It really hit the spot and has really made me think. Love jac.xxx
  • jackel
    jackel Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou to all again for your continued meal advice. Thankyou also for your sympathy . You are all very kind. love jac.xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Loss of a partner or loved one is different for many people. I lost my OH in 2003, after almost 40 years I have learned to live with it and move on with my life. You never really 'get over it', daft expression I always thought.

Loss is not measels or a common cold, it is a painful journey that many folk have to go through in their lives.

Was it harder for me because of the time I had with him was suddenly cut short, or is the loss of a child more heartbreaking for things that will never be. I don't know, but slowly you begin to learn to buy for one and cook again. (I lived on jacket spuds and toast for almost a year because I found it hard to cook for just one)

But eventually you pick up the pieces of your life again and concentrate on making a different one ,not better, just different .

I now cook properly again, and batch cook, and apart from the problem I have with rice /water ratio all is more or less back to normal again.

Certain things I don't bother with ,Sunday dinner I always have at my DDs. also Christmas Dinner. I don't cook a leg of lamb anymore or I would be eating it forever ,but I do a chicken in the slow cooker and once cooked with strip the meat off the bones and make curries ,coronation chicken ,chicken pasta and once cold freeze left over chicken for other meals

Re the tubes of puree I too have tubes of the stuff and once opened keep in the fridge and use as and when and often its there for quite awhile and I have never thought to look at the use by date.
    I buy a big 500 gm pot of basic plain yoghurt (55p) and use in lots of things including chopping up fresh fruit as I did last night and adding it to a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt, darned sight cheaper than buying those Mueller corner things, or a dollop on top of cereal at breakfast time or in curries or chills to 'cool' down a bit if I have been too enthusiastic with the spices :)
    I have never had a problem using it up and usually the use by date is a good 10-4 day after I have bought it anyway

I live fairly well on my food only budget of £15.00 per week as I only shop every 10-12 days if I can and make the most of what I buy.Nothing is ever binned in my house from food apart from egg shells, banana skins etc.My food waste wouldn't fill one of those plastic veg bags that are given away in the supermarkets per week. If I've bought it,it will get eaten. Those four for a pound tins of baked beans is 8 veg accompaniments for a jacket potato or with an egg and a several of potato wedges, definitely cheap as chips :):) baked beans are full of protein andI add them to all sorts of meals
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    But those two items add up to 8% of my budget, by the time the farmers and supermarkets have done the same you've got the 25% waste that Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was making the song and dance about. Waste happens because people tell themselves "this is only a little bit......that's not much", and by the time you tot up a bit here and a bit there, the little bits all add up to a lot.

I would have thought you could freeze the cream in ice cube trays and so take out your required 20mls as and when needed, if cost prevents you from using it up the week you bought it.

With yoghurt, even if you think snacking is wasteful, a pot of yoghurt with some fruit, or honey, is a perfectly adequate and cheap breakfast I find.
  • purpleybat
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I don't batchcook, but my opened tube of puree sits in my fridge forever until I need another squirt

I find a tube of tom puree will last forever in the fridge. just don't do what I did once and buy a tin of it, it went mouldy in weeks. I'm guessing cos the air is all around it and in a tube its tightly sealed.
    yoghurt and cream I will freeze leftovers in ramekins ready for the next curry or rice pudding that's made(labelled, yoghurt in rice pudding I'm told isn't very nice)
    thinking of that I did plonk a ramekin of what I presumed was cream (slightly yellow in colour) into a small batch of rice pudding, dad said it was fab and almondy, turned out it was kulfi id made the month before
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure