Any recommendations for fence paint, please?

Options
I need to treat an untreated wooden fence, there seem so may available. Are the water based ones any good ? Screwfix are selling Ronseal One Coat 9ltr for £6.99 which looks a good price but I'd rather pay a bit more if there is something else that will do a better job. Any recommendations please?

Comments

• elver_man
    elver_man Posts: 20,787 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I stay well clear of the water based fence treatments as I feel they do not last and when they start to weather it looks terrible but I suppose it depends on what colour you want and how often you re apply

For traditional colours of Dark or light brown I now use something like Barrettine creocote or Bartoline creocote

For more colour options Barrettine solvent based wood protective treatments or Barrettine Premier Wood Protective Treatment.

Creocote about £9 for 4L
    Other Barrettine around £20 to £28 for 5L
    Thoughts:

The surest sign that there is intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't contacted us yet:D
    Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?
    Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others;) - Martin Luther King jr
  • Sweetpie_2
    Options
    From experience I think Ronseal is probably the best
  • wrightk
    wrightk Posts: 975 Forumite
    Options
    elver man is absolutely right. Water based shed and fence treatments just dont work.Talk to anyone 50+ and they will tell you the best treatment for exterior wood was creocote. Nowadays creocote (or its modern equivalent) is just about the only thing that will last. It is oil based, so will penetrate deep inside the wood. Just beware of the light brown treatments labelled 'ecocote', they are as useless as water based treatments.

Down here 5l of creocote is £6.99, which is a bargain compared to water based treatment prices, so its a bit of a no brainer really.
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Culprinol do some good water based products ducksback is one of the best, the cheaper fence care is also good. I did my fences 3 years ago with fence care and its still great. Ducksback is slightly more expensive but contains waxes.

If the wood is pressure treated anyway it will last donkeys years if off the ground, the posts tend to be weakest link and they should last 10 years or so.

Creasote was a good product but carcinogenic hence why they banned it the newer version suppose to be okay but problem you have with it is it only comes with a few different shades of brown.

I have no problem with water based fence paint and it does last perhaps not as long but i give fences a few coats and its lasted several years now and still looks good
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    wrightk wrote: »
    elver man is absolutely right. Water based shed and fence treatments just dont work.Talk to anyone 50+ and they will tell you the best treatment for exterior wood was creocote. Nowadays creocote (or its modern equivalent) is just about the only thing that will last. It is oil based, so will penetrate deep inside the wood.
    The old treatment was creosote, now banned for most purposes, although a few of us 'farmers' still have some stashed away. ;)

The modern equivalent, creocote, is just as good at killing bugs in our chicken houses, but I have found both to fade quite quickly over time. The spirit based products do sink in though, and probably provide protection after their cosmetic effects have worn off.

The best way to avoid rot in things like fences and sheds is to buy pressure-treated products in the first place. They won't be cheap, though.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I have done a fence in cuprinol gardenshades( got it cheap) went on well and a good finish time will tell if any good long term.

Ducksback on the shed lasted well, over 5 years, waiting for the deals this year to do it again
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    most treatments are either suitable for sawn OR planed timber, not both. Just make sure you use the right one. A solvent based treatment will be a penetrating preserver, where water based is a surface coating. Creocote stuff tends to be smelly and take ages to dry, and less pet friendly. Cuprinol do some good solvent based decking stuff you can use. I always look at the VOC content - high = solvent based, low = water based.
  • Possom
    Possom Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    I used boiled linseed oil.
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another vote for ducksback. Very good when applied correctly....
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another for Ducksback! We've painted sheds and fences and it's been great.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure