Twins going to University

Options
I have twins going to uni this September and as a single mum have a problem with helping them with living costs. The student loan is now means-tested so it is assumed that the parents will help towards living costs. My problem is that this means testing is set assuming that a parent has to help one child. I have two going at the same time so am therefore expected to give each child the same amount of help as if there was only one of them. I simply can't afford this! Once accommodation costs have been met my two are left with being able to borrow only £25 a week each and whilst I could afford to make up this money for one I cannot do this for two. Does anyone know of any help twins (and the mum of twins) can get?

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 September 2016 at 8:16AM
    Options
    Check you have filled in the forms properly so it's clear you are supporting TWO students, I have had two children at uni at the same time.
    Check if there are any local grants/bursaries available. Ask at their school, they might know.
    Even full time students get enough free time that they can work part time. So maybe they could look for pt jobs.
    Make sure they get student bank accounts sorted.
    Check out the student money saving board here.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • wendz86
    wendz86 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought they were means tested to show how many children. Myself and my sister were at uni at the same time and got higher loans because of that.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you need to telephone SLC: the forms are confusing and it is easy to fail to indicate that one parental income is supporting two students.
  • Alice_Walker
    Alice_Walker Posts: 574 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2016 at 2:22PM
    Options
    I think you need to telephone SLC: the forms are confusing and it is easy to fail to indicate that one parental income is supporting two students.

It would be very difficult to miss the section that asks you to list child dependents in further or higher education in academic year 2016/17, it takes up half a page! Plus one of the first questions is your marital status.

Nothing confusing in this respect.
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately the rules changed. When I had two at uni at the same time, the equivalent of one parental contribution (based on both OH's and my incomes) was all that was expected. Since then, as far as I am aware, nickih is correct and that parental contribution is supposed to be given to each child - completely unaffordable for many!

Many of the rules around student support seem unfair.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get them to start saving a little now and ensure they are able to cook cheap meals.

Sit down and be realistic about what you can afford to give and then half it. If possible you put away a little now. Try to find them the bare basics of what they need to take for communal areas - eg plates etc. I lived with all women in my first year - my unis policy and we all bought plates and pans not one of the lads downstairs and packed a pan. Haha

Look online at student grants. I recently managed to find £500 in my first year and then £380 in my third year I could get as money for nothing. Took a couple of letters and some stamps. Some of the grants are only payable to people whose father was a fisherman and who were born in June - but others are less restrictive. There used to be a link in the student board. Or search the forums for the link. I completed my degree in 2014 so some of these should still exist.

It will be hard - but they will muddle through. I know I did when living away. One of my house mates was determined not to work and not to use her overdraft at all and actually managed this until half way through the second year when we convinced her she was missing out on some important drinking etc. She had become a recluse.

Of the nine women I lived with in the first year one left five had part time jobs and two didn't look for work - one because she was doing a really intense course and one because she didn't want to.

One did look but not hard and was super picky about what works she would consider. Hence not getting work. I did go to uni in a city. My sister struggled to work in a tiny town.

Get them both to make cv's and deliver them maybe the weekend before they are due to start if this is possible. working was great as you Have an income and discount on (hopefully) something useful if in retail. I was always dressed head to toe in monsoon as I worked there. Not necessarily a choice but with 75% discount and I had to wear it on the shop floor it meant I was dressed. Haha one housemate got discount at sainsburys our local supermarket - a definite bonus.

It was also relaxing to have time away from housemates and books. £25 a week may seem a little but it is enough to eat on at least.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If all living costs are met - what is the £25 per week expected to cover - only the food? If it is only the food, I do not think that will be a problem.

OP I would expect them both to be getting PT jobs. Even one night behind a bar per week will double their weekly spends.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport