Forum Home » Health & Beauty MoneySaving

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries September 2016 - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries September 2016

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
229 replies 29.9K views

Replies

• HermiaHermia Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    UU Liz Earle Botanical Shine Shampoo - WNBA as I felt my hair got greasier a lot quicker than with other shampoos.

UU Sanctuary White Lily and Damask Rose Scrub - smells gorgeous, but WNBA again as I find scrubs aren't as effective as using a brush or mitt with shower gel.

UU Dove anti-p. - WBA, HG product.

TA Sanctuary Silky Smooth Body Lotion - used this once and then it went in the bin. This stuff is evil! After using it I got a really horrible burning sensation all over my skin. I had a tiny cut on my hand and some lotion got on that and the pain was horrendous. What is in this stuff???!!!!
  • VALMVALM Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last two UUs before I fly today

Soap and Glory Peaches and Clean cleanser. Replaced but not taking this away with me. Have my Elemis cleanser and some wipes.

Lee Staffoed Coco Loco shampoo. WDNBA. My hair feels dry and brittle after using it. Think I may treat myself to some L'Occitane shampoo after my hols.

The salon was understaffed and too busy this morning so I've painted my own nails. Wearing OPI Red my Fortune Cookie.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • bingbonbingbon Forumite
    278 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    maddiemay wrote: »
    I bought the Tarte Tarlette one from QVC a few months ago and I love it, the showstopper one looks nice too, but I need more pale shades, pink, lilac etc and they are so much more difficult to find, I wish that I could get to see more, such as the Pixi ones, IRL It is further complicated by the fact that I really need some of them to be matte:(
    Although you can only get them online Makeup Geek shadows have a good range of pinks and purples and a fair few are matte. I've just ordered my first 4 and 3 are matte. You can get them on beauty bay but I'd look on the US Makeup Geek site for swatches and descriptions. Also the Rose version of the L'Oreal La Palette has a mixture of mattes and shimmers in pinks and purples.
    VALM wrote: »
    Last two UUs before I fly today

Soap and Glory Peaches and Clean cleanser. Replaced but not taking this away with me. Have my Elemis cleanser and some wipes.

Lee Staffoed Coco Loco shampoo. WDNBA. My hair feels dry and brittle after using it. Think I may treat myself to some L'Occitane shampoo after my hols.

The salon was understaffed and too busy this morning so I've painted my own nails. Wearing OPI Red my Fortune Cookie.
    So glad I saw this about the Coco loco shampoo. I nearly bought it the other day and my hair definitely doesn't need to be any drier!
    Have a fantastic holiday! :)
  • bingbonbingbon Forumite
    278 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Some UUs!
    1. Hairy Jayne Citrus Hair Perfume. WNBA. Got this in a beauty box. It was ok, smelt quite nice but is essentially pointless.
    2. Poundland Eye Makeup Remover Pads. WBA. Do a good job and don't aggravate my eyes.
    3. Twig and Dot Deep Calm Neroli and Chamomile candle. This was a mini votive and didn't last long but it was absolutely lovely. This company don't seem to exist anymore though which is a shame.
    4. Eucerin AtoControl Acute Care Cream mini. WNB. Got this sample size free at work. It's ok but a slight medicinal smell.
    5. Lush Green Bubbleroon. WNBA. It's nice enough but I just found out it's being discontinued anyway.

If anyone's interested the Lush things being discontinued are:
    Green Bubbleroon
    Porridge Soap (Sorry Valm!)
    Pop in The Bath Bubble Bar :( So annoyed about this one. May have to buy a few before they run out.
    Granny Takes a Dip Bubble Bar
    Honey Bee Bath Bomb

Pleased with my UUs to start the month. Hope everyone's having a nice weekend!
  • shed35shed35 Forumite
    190 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    This is my first update for September

UU
    Sea Kelp Shampoo
    Sanctuary Spa Body Lotion
    Peckniff Orange and Cinnamon Body and Hand Lotion

IN
    Superdrug B Micellar Solution x 2
    Superdrug B Glycolic Cleansing Peel x 2
    Boots 24 Hour Derodorant x 2

Total 100

Stocking up for the Autumn and have Avon order to be delivered but still hoped to go under 100!!
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a uu

Sanctuary White Lily & Damask Rose Body Scrub 50ml - smelt lovely and quite scrubby but WNBA. Down to my last two body scrubs now, a mini and a full size Rituals one - which is actually a hand scrub- then it is my body brush all the way.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 18/66
  • sam.4000sam.4000 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    UU's
    1) Malie coenzyme Q10 mask WNBA not very wet so it did not adhere very well.

2) lush granny takes a dip bubble bar WNBA nice enough, lots of bubbles the not very scented.

3) leaders amino sheet mask WBA work well, saturated and good fit.

4 and 5) Grinif peeling gel and ddung family peeling gel WNBA both products are foul, one has been in use for 2 years which basically tells me that I don't like them. The idea is you put it on your face and then you rub the product and it balls, exfoliated your skin, I don't think it really does anything but annoys me. The product adheres to your skin in little balls of products, even face wash does not remove it. I have to resort to a physical exfoliant or face cloth to get the stuff off. Sort of a TA but both are mostly used.

6) Garnier lite WNBA out of date so used it as a body moisturiser. Okay to use but nothing special.

7) Mitchum deodorant WBA
  • maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    bingbon wrote: »
    Although you can only get them online Makeup Geek shadows have a good range of pinks and purples and a fair few are matte. I've just ordered my first 4 and 3 are matte. You can get them on beauty bay but I'd look on the US Makeup Geek site for swatches and descriptions. Also the Rose version of the L'Oreal La Palette has a mixture of mattes and shimmers in pinks and purples.

The Tarte Tartlette Tease palette arrived yesterday, it is pretty and compliments the Tartlette one:D I have the Rose L'Oreal one, it nice too. Thank you for the information re the Makep Geek shadows, they are lovely and I am sure some will be coming here once my next holiday excursions are over. We are going to York in a month, so many lovely places to look/shop, I don't think that I will be tempted by anything other than shadows or nail polish though:o Must try and stay strong as I really need some new boots for the winter:eek:
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • gemmajenkins0208gemmajenkins0208 Forumite
    490 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    TA the Superdrug breath spray as it was half empty(I hadn't even opened it) and tasted foul! :(
  • edited 5 September 2016 at 6:27PM
    fixxfixx Forumite
    789 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    edited 5 September 2016 at 6:27PM
    Hi ladies - I was away on holiday for a week, and just caught up now. Needless to say I am back in again for this month :D

A few assorted UUs from the past few weeks (at least those I can remember/find!)
    - Philip Kingsley Elasticizer 75ml. WBA - on offer. Loooooove this, it makes such a difference. But I'd never pay full price for it, there are other cheaper things which are pretty close. Think this was a freebie or from a beauty box though.
    - Lancome Genefique serum and Visionnaire cream samples. Used on holiday. WNB. Nice, but not enough to change from what I use.
    - DHC Alpha-Arbutin White Mask (sheet mask). WMBA. Nice, brightening mask, loads of serum.
    - Elemis frangipani monoi body cream 200ml. HG - though I never buy it as it's far too expensive. I get it as pressies sometimes though, and it lasts aaaaages :)
    - Clinique superfine liner for brows (shade 01 - soft blonde). WMBA. This was very nearly perfect. Nice light shade giving a groomed but not overdone/dark look against my blonde, very good wear, excellent fine application and easy to build up when wanted. Lasted over 6 months as well with almost daily use. But the shade was just slightly too warm... Have gone back to an old Benefit Browzings for now, as that needs using up. Will think hard about what to get later.
    - Sure mini deodorant spray. Effective, WMBA.

I bought a few minis of shampoo and conditioner at the airport, and UUed them on holiday - can't remember what they were, nothing special.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support