I feel I have been mis-sold ?

I used a Broker to look into finding me a better deal mortgage, which they did do - but also, at the same time, they asked me to change my provider of Buildings & Contents Insurance (I was with Lloyds for years).

I listened to his offer, and, I said "as long as we have covered what we have now", and if it is cheaper, then I will go ahead - I DID stipulate at the time, that it had to cover exactly what we currently has with Lloyds - Yes, apart from Accidental Cover, for Non fixed items, which I added, and it was still cheaper than current provider - hence we changed.

I have not claimed many times at all - and when I did, with Lloyds, we had NO problems what-so-ever.

We have come to claim for a laptop, which I accidentally dropped onto a tiles floor, and, they have said we are NOT covered, as we do not have Technology and Entertainment Cover - I was livid!!! IN fact, I was more than livid!!!

I took out the policy and read through the papers but it is rather confusing, so still not sure if my laptop is covered or not (I did read that it should be under this category though). We never read through the policy documents, as this is why we had a Broker to ensure this was all in place for us, and we were getting what we already had, to save us having to do so.

Was I wrong, or have I been mis-sold?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

I have contacted the Broker, but, as yet, no reply.

Comments

• Raise a complaint with the Broker, and follow their complaints procedure. If they agree with you that you have been mis-sold you can ask them to cover the cost of the claim. If they disagree with you; they will have to justify why.
    Regardless; at the next renewal I would suggest reviewing your cover and perhaps looking elsewhere.
  • Thank you Paddy - I emailed the Broker, and apparently the guy who dealt with us for mortgage etc, is no longer wit the Company - I emailed that I felt I had been mis-sold and I was livid - a I have just had a phone call from the complaints department who are now looking into it for me. Fingers crossed ;-)
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,871
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would send your complaint in writing as well as by phone as otherwise you may find that the person you spoke to on the phone is also "no longer with the company". I would say you have been missold, so you should stick to your guns and start keeping a record of the phone calls and letters you send.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • I will do that thank you ;-)
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,553
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Did you pay the broker a fee or not?

If not, the insurance sale was his fee (via commission), you could have offered to pay his fees and not changed insurer for future reference
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,908
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Was I wrong, or have I been mis-sold?

Did you have personal possessions cover previously?

If you did and you do not have it now then it would appear you dont have what you requested.
    If you did not have it before and you dont have it now then you are still like-for-like, which was your request.

When did you buy the insurance? (before or after January 2005?)
    I would send your complaint in writing as well as by phone as otherwise you may find that the person you spoke to on the phone is also "no longer with the company". I would say you have been missold, so you should stick to your guns and start keeping a record of the phone calls and letters you send.

You dont need to repeat yourself. If it is already with the complaints department then sending a letter to the complaints department is not needed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron wrote: »
    Did you pay the broker a fee or not?

If not, the insurance sale was his fee (via commission), you could have offered to pay his fees and not changed insurer for future reference

HI, I did not now you could do that? Yes, I did pay a Broker fee.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    Did you have personal possessions cover previously?

If you did and you do not have it now then it would appear you dont have what you requested.
    If you did not have it before and you dont have it now then you are still like-for-like, which was your request.

When did you buy the insurance? (before or after January 2005?)

You dont need to repeat yourself. If it is already with the complaints department then sending a letter to the complaints department is not needed.

HI, yes I did have it before, as quite a few years ago with Lloyds, we had to claim for a TV
  • HI, yes I did have it before, as quite a few years ago with Lloyds, we had to claim for a TV

I thought that - because the email I sent was in writing ;-)
  • Thanks everyone for your advice and comments, it is really appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport