Avoid horrid €1 to £1 airport exchange rates

Options
"Avoid horrid €1 to £1 airport exchange rates"

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    and the rip off charges if you want to change small amounts....
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Why does anyone do this? You're at an airport, you'll presumably be flying to a foreign airport, just wait till you get there and get cash out of an ATM. Practically every airport will have an ATM, I've not flown to one that hasn't. You can check their website to confirm.

Use a recommended zero markup card, and get an excellent rate. Just avoid the conversion option if the ATM offers to convert. Simples.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    While the exchange rates offered are terrible, presumably the business is paying a very high rent for its prime airport location. And so all this helps keep the price of air travel low for all of us.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Practically every airport will have an ATM, I've not flown to one that hasn't. You can check their website to confirm.

Paphos, Cyprus does NOT have one! :( despite their website saying that they do
    http://www.hermesairports.com/en/airport-services/bank--currency1
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Paphos, Cyprus does NOT have one! :( despite their website saying that they do
    http://www.hermesairports.com/en/airport-services/bank--currency1
    I always have a little GBP cash which I can exchange at the foreign airport in case of this - the rate will likely also be a rip-off (though likely less of a rip-off than the UK airport), but it's very unlikely you'll need it.

Besides, it's often possible to pay for onward transportation by card anyway, if you need to. If you've got transfers sorted already you don't even need money at the airport - wait till you get to where you're going. Especially on a package holiday - tourist resorts tend to have loads of cashpoints.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure