Role models for the over 50s

124»

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Loanranger wrote: »
    Swimming is also out for me. My GP told me that my ear infections were down to swimming and to keep them out of water.
    There is really no getting away from it, old age does wear out the body and leads to a more resrictive lifestyle. There will always be some people who will out perform their age group just as there will be some at other end of scale who underperform. Most are somewhere in between, as in a normal distribution curve.

Ear plugs for swimming....

Boots, Amazon.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2016 at 7:43AM
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Maybe we are talking about somewhat different things.

I'm not writing about 'looking up' to individuals, so much as 'looking at' them, sometimes in quite a focused way.

It's not about one or two individuals, as it might be in our youth, but taking note of successes in a multitude of areas and learning from dozens of people.

That's exactly what I mean Dave. I don't do looking up to people personally. But - basically - anyone who knows me would know people could have all the money/titles/etc/etc going and I'm not going to think they're any better or more important than anyone else (including me) and some people have found themselves "on a hiding to nothing" if they've tried to make out they are. It's soon struck them that I'm treating them as exactly on a par with me. LOL.

Not looking at a whole group of people just steadily getting iller and not doing anything very much with their lives BUT instead a whole group of people still intent on having a life that is meaningful, as healthy as possible, enjoyable and not just on a path that is signposted "This way be the graveyard" iyswim.

LessonLearned - I do watch your adventures with interest. My general impression being of someone who "picks themselves up, dusts themselves down and starts all over again". My impression of you has changed over time - and is now of someone with distinct "backbone" and determined to be positive about things.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    money, you're talking about most of our U3A.

I could have mentioned F, nearly 91. She's an avid reader and member of my book group, although she buys everything on kindle so that she can enlarge the print. She's been on a philosophy course this summer, has only just given up running a group.

Another brilliant member passed away in April. She had had the most interesting life and still embraced every opportunity in spite of increasing frailty.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • lessonlearned
    Lol. Pity that "backbone" is 21 per cent out of alignment. Ha ha.

Never mind.....it won't be for long. I'm having the treatments and doing my Physio "homework". I'll get there. I'll soon be walking tall and proud again. Once that's sorted I can add weight training to the fitness programme to build up some muscle strength.

I have already added resistance bands and hand weights to my regime. Its all coming together - new life, new house, new body.

New business next. That will be next year...

Good luck with the walking.
  • You've reminded me LL that I've recently bought myself some resistance bands. I'm wondering if a bit of work with them is what I need to get my legs back up to normal strength. I'm certainly aware my legs have been feeling weaker than normal for a while now and wondering just what I should do to get them back to normal.

Have got into the horrible habit of using my arms to help myself get up over last couple of years and must train myself back out of it. Think it probably developed as a result of having had a lot of back trouble since I moved here. I think I've managed to pretty much resolve that back aggro and time to "tap my wrists" if I catch myself at it again.:rotfl:.

This is where I could do with it being a younger average agegroup here - and I could spend some time people-watching to remind myself how they move and imitate them. Time for some cups of coffee out to be taken at pavement cafes I think....
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    pollypenny wrote: »
    money, you're talking about most of our U3A.

I could have mentioned F, nearly 91. She's an avid reader and member of my book group, although she buys everything on kindle so that she can enlarge the print. She's been on a philosophy course this summer, has only just given up running a group.

Another brilliant member passed away in April. She had had the most interesting life and still embraced every opportunity in spite of increasing frailty.

Now, keeping mentally and intellectually alert is something I do aspire to, even if it won't be that long before the old bones start to give way!
  • lessonlearned
    Definitely have a go with resistance bands. Physios often recommend them. You can increase the amount of resistance by making the bands shorter. The longer the length the less the resistance.

Start gently and build up. Stretching the hamstrings first will lesson the chance injury. Tight hamstrings will also aggravate back pain. So don't forget to warm up and stretch first.
  • lessonlearned
    Now, keeping mentally and intellectually alert is something I do aspire to, even if it won't be that long before the old bones start to give way!

Definitely agree with this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport