IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Excel Parking, BW Legal and now what looks like court papers

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You could try sending video with a timeliness (car arrives, driver exits, driver returns etc) to Claimant and invite them to agree what it shows. Guaranteed that no judge is sitting through a whole 20 min video with his popcorn waiting for you to make your point!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    *timeline* or other form of chronology.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Guaranteed that no judge is sitting through a whole 20 min video with his popcorn waiting for you to make your point!
    My feeling exactly!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Are you sure a judge will want to sit through a 20 minute video of you with a stopwatch and clipboard? If you disregard advert breaks, that's as long as an episode of Corrie!

I'm no court expert, but if bargepole is passing by I wonder whether he might comment on whether it would be a good plan to show this.

Utterly inappropriate and disproportionate to a piddling £250 claim. No Judge is going to want to view more than a couple of minutes of video (if at all) - most of them have such a busy list they are having to forego their lunch hour these days.

As for 10,000 words of argument - ridiculous. Your Defence should be no more than 4 pages, set in Times 12 point with 1.5 line spacing. That's about 1,000 words, and if you can't get your points across in that, they ain't worth making.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Xanthanan
    Xanthanan Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Are you sure a judge will want to sit through a 20 minute video of you with a stopwatch and clipboard? If you disregard advert breaks, that's as long as an episode of Corrie!
    I know I don't. I produced a timeline exactly as described by Johnersh and I'll see if I can get an agreement from BW Legal before the day, Im guessing they will fail to agree in time so the only other option is to present the timeline and await them shooting it down..
    bargepole wrote: »
    Utterly inappropriate and disproportionate to a piddling £250 claim. No Judge is going to want to view more than a couple of minutes of video (if at all) - most of them have such a busy list they are having to forego their lunch hour these days.

As for 10,000 words of argument - ridiculous. Your Defence should be no more than 4 pages, set in Times 12 point with 1.5 line spacing. That's about 1,000 words, and if you can't get your points across in that, they ain't worth making.
    I think 10,000 was a sum of a few docs and I had cut that by a fair amount already by today. I'll continue to cull and remove stuff.
  • scamalamjam
    Options
    would it be worth having two versions - a fast forward version condensed into 30 seconds or 1 minute and have the full version available for finer scrutiny if requested?
  • Xanthanan
    Options
    OK Silly question, In my WS / Defence I plan to rebut Elliot v Loake and CPS v AJH films as support for any 'presumed driver' argument Excel may use. Is this a sensible move? If it is, do I need to reference them both as exhibits or just have copies handy if I'm asked to explain why I think they are invalid, during the hearing?
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    [
    Xanthanan wrote: »
    OK Silly question, In my WS / Defence I plan to rebut Elliot v Loake and CPS v AJH films as support for any 'presumed driver' argument Excel may use. Is this a sensible move? If it is, do I need to reference them both as exhibits or just have copies handy if I'm asked to explain why I think they are invalid, during the hearing?

Don't include them in your bundle. Excel will probably adduce them anyway. No harm taking them with you on the day but it's unlikely you'll need to refer to them as you'll state clearly in your WS or skeleton why they are completely irrelevant
  • Xanthanan
    Options
    would it be worth having two versions - a fast forward version condensed into 30 seconds or 1 minute and have the full version available for finer scrutiny if requested?
    Thanks for the suggestion but the thought of faffing about showing videos, despite their comedy value for being at Benny Hill speed, is off the table now. Its pretty clear that no matter how great I may think a video is, it will be less help than I envisage. I may just do a couple of screenprints, particularly the end time.

I did what I could with my bundle docs, heres the updated WS and defence docs, along with the index and video timeline as shared previously.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nx3f44e0pzvvap1/AACcg8Y72g_3PSoLN6-v18Y8a?dl=0

The defence still exceeds the guidance of 1000 words but I am not sure whats best to cut, or how best to shrink it. Advice please... At the moment it still defends lack of POFA and lack of driver ID and then falls back onto CoP failure if the court is convinced by their 'presumed driver' stuff. Am I best to carry on with the broad defence or just go all out for POFA / Driver ID?

I'll email BW (and CC the court) to see if they will agree that the transcript matches the video but if that doesn't happen (which I doubt) I'll just rely on it being declared as a true account in my WS.
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The defence still exceeds the guidance of 1000 words but I am not sure whats best to cut, or how best to shrink it. Advice please.

Surely your defence has already been submitted, hasn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport